Dermatology Expert Forum
Can Rosacea Cause Rash Looking Like Lupus?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Hi Doctor,  I was diagnosed three years ago with Rosacea but lately been wondering if it is Lupus instead.  I have rash across my face red in pattern equal to both sides of my face plus skin ulcers on my chest that don't go away.  Plus not to mention pain in my joints. Then when it gets cold my hand hurt like when they fall asleep I have to stick them under warm running water to relieve the pain.  Does this sound like Lupus?  I had a elevated Ana titer 1.160 in the past during a flare of similar symptoms.
I also am hypothyroidism treatment with meds.

I would appreciate your opinion?

Sincerely,  Ann
Ann:

While it is true that rosacea can be mistaken for lupus, there is usually not that much trouble in distinguishing the two.  In your situation, nevertheless, the other symptoms you described on your skin and in the joints may be worth looking into.  The ANA titer of 1:160 is not too impressive.

My advice is to consult another physician, perhaps a dermatologist and also a rheumatologist to reconsider your situation and perhaps lay your anxiety to rest.

Good luck.

Dr. R
Hi Dr. R,   I forgot to mention my rash leaves behind scars can rosacea leave scars?  My scars seem to be in butterfly pattern.
Plus, my ana was in speckled pattern probably not significant.

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Sincerely, Ann
In July 1998 I started getting acne - I'm a 36 year old female. I've never had acne like this before. My Dr gave me metrogel to no avail, I haven't used makeup/soap anything on my face for over a year except the metrogel. Sometimes there is a white-head  but most of the time clear liquid seeps from them. They have taken over my face and my Dr doesn't have any other answer. Any suggestions? I can't believe it could be rosacea. Just when I think it is going away, my skin becomes very scaly, especially around my nostrils, this takes a couple of days then the red spots return with a vengence.
what is pomphigus titces
Doctor: Is there any side effects to using minoxidil. I started using it several days ago and the next day I woke up with a very dizzy feeling. Almost to the point of nausea. The second day was the same but not as bad. I have not used the minoxidil since. Could this have created the dizziness? Thank  you.

Betty
I have had Rosacea for 8 months, my medications are, 1000 mg of tetracycline per day and metrolotion applied twice daily. I have not seen any results in these 8 months. My face is just red and also my neck, no pimples. I have numerous blood vessels that have surfaced on my face. I am very frustrated. My dermatologist says that this just takes time. People who do not know me have a tendency to stare. Is there something that I can do?

Genevieve, a year ago, I had the similar rash on my face, the doctor gave me the exact 1000mg of tetracycline and metrogel..It did absolutely nothing for four months..I went to a dermatologist and he immediately said that it was seborrhea dermatitis. He prescribed two weeks of Fluocinonide Cream 0.05% (highly potent) and it went away in less that two days. Now to keep it under control, I use a mild hydrocortizone every couple of days. good luck..