Cause of toenail growing upwards not outwards

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

4421084?1241338402
Dear Dr,

For a number of years the toenails on the toe immediately next to my big toe on both feet have grown upwards rather than in the normal way. As a result, they can thicken considerably and have kind of "merged" with the skin rather than growing separately at the end of my toes.

I have seen a podiatrist about this problem, they told me that it was due to impact with the end of my shoe when I run (which they said is unavoidable because this toe is actually longer than all my other toes including my big toe). They examined my running shoes and said that there was no reason to change them as they fitted correctly and that I would have the same problem with other shoes. They also told me there was no way to "fix" my toenail, that the matrix was damaged and that all I can do is file it when it becomes thicker.

I have attached a photo of one of the toenails so you can see what I mean. It usually is not painful, although occasionally is after running.  

I was wondering whether you think there may be other possible causes and/or if you think that this issue can be treated (contrary to what my podiatrist told me). Is, for example, removing the toenail and allowing it to regrow an option?

Thanks.

[IMG]http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww64/Foot_Problems/IMG_2876.jpg[/IMG]
Tags: toenail
Although it is tough confirming a diagnosis without examination,but the possibility of onycholysis is high in your case. characterized by a spontaneous separation of the nail plate starting at the distal free margin and progressing proximally.It can be due to skin conditions or systemic conditions.Fungal infections of the nail can also lead to such symptoms.

I suggest you consult a dermatologist and get a skin and nail biopsy,KOH examination and culture done to confirm the diagnosis.Treatment is diagnosis specific.

I hope that helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.