Chronic Urticaria and Angioedema

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Chronic Urticaria and Angioedema

I had the stomach flu in March, then had pneumonia immediately after...the whole time developing hives.  I have had hives 80% of the time all over my body since then.  I will occasionally have instances where my face (lips, eyes, ears), hands and feet all swell too.  I go to Urgent Care and get steroids before it gets worse.  I was finally told I have chronic urticaria and angioedema at the Emergency Room almost 2 months after the first instance and given an Epi-pen.  The only allergy I knew of was to sulfa drugs (which I have not taken since I was 16).  I went to an Allergist/Immunologist who did skin and blood tests, finding nothing that I am allergic to other than sulfa and a common mold.  He also took me off Lisinopril since the ACE Inhibitors can cause Angioedema.  The Angioedema has not been as severe since, but I still experience both problems.  I have also noticed hair loss since March.  I just had the TSH test for my thyroid levels, and they are normal.  I have no idea what could be causing it.  I am taking 3 different meds for the hives, which still don't seem to give me enough relief and also make me extremely drowsy.  I have to drive almost an hour to work and keep up with a toddler at home....anyone have any good advice for getting rid of the hives?
I see that you are having the problem of chronic urticaria.It is defined as urticaria that persists for longer than 6 weeks. In most of the cases of chronic urticaria, the underlying pathology is idiopathic i.e it is not linked to any cause. It is essential to rule out the presence of serious illnesses of which recurring hives can be a symptom. Examples are hepatitis, hyperthyroidism, lymphomas, collagen vascular diseases, and cancers of the rectum, kidneys and gastrointestinal tract.

I feel that you should find out the cause of your chronic urticaria by ruling out the various conditions causing it.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I am a 44 year old woman and 7 years ago, diagnosed with chronic angioedema (a major idiopathic situation with this one unto itself and it's literally killing me!) It is mostly agitated by FOOD ALLERGIES and presently those are very, very, very, very many in numbers.

I also have eczema, depression, candida, B-12 deficiency, Iron deficiency, and all kinds of other deficiencies related to the angioedema and inability to maintain a balanced diet. The condition just accelerates (just doesn't stay still) although I continue to take more and more foods out of my diet. Most research around this topic is done for people dealing with HAE and I have been tested and come back negative with that diagnosis--just the CHRONIC/acquired! I need help and fast--starvation follows me everywhere I go and the depression just exacerbates the condition and of course, the terrible cycle, causes for further depression.

Someone recently told me that it's an orphan disease--not enough is known about it, not enough people affected by it = lack of interest in finding CAUSE or CURE!

Current symptoms/major issues: Swelling of the lips, belly, genitalia, and sometimes around the eyes; pain, soreness and cutting of the lips and gums (a plain potato or a banana makes me feel like I've just eaten glass); itchy/crawly skin; hair loss (and an inability for me to grow it back although I've taken all chemicals out of it); massive pain caused by the under-the-skin swelling (usually far more intense upon waking and somewhat alleviated by certain Kombucha teas) in my calves; excessive weight loss (I don't eat!); depression (been seeing head doctors for the past 3 years); growing sensitivity to external (body creams and such)/ enviromental elements (I'm no longer "free to move about the country"...smiles; and like 90 million etcs. :-/

Current treatment is only anti-histamines and antacids--my body is failing me so if you've got anything you can add to my being able to at the very least, LIVE, with this condition, I would be most appreciated.

All informative comments--including shared condition/experience(s) welcome!
Hi - I have left you a note - please get in touch as you are in the same boat as me - maybe we could compare notes !