Cold sores or breakout?
Hi hello Dr,

I never had cold sores before. But recently circa 4 painful, firm 'pimples' appeared under my nose/above my upper lip (including one just on the rim of my upper lip). they are tiny and do not react the same when I squeeze them as a 'regular pimple' on my face would, rather no white puss when squeezed. The thing is that my pimples are not usually painful unless they are the deep rooted pimples. These little surface bumps (that I have caused to scab from squeezing them) do hurt.
When I looked up images on google, it resembled the impetigo condition (minus the yellow scabbing).
My left eye is also a tint of red (now I'm thinking I spread 'it' to my eye).
Bottom line; am I freaking out over a simple breakout of pimples? Or does this sound like cold sores to you Dr?

Thank you, I do appreciate your advice.

There could be several causes of the sores you are having - the most common is picking the nose or trimming nasal hairs - which leads to a staphylococcus infection. Other causes include cold sores due to herpes, impetigo, nasal polyps, lupus , etc.

Nothing can be said with surety without having a look at the lesions and without a proper clinical examination.

It would be best to consult an ENT specialist and rule out the possible causes and find out the confirmed diagnosis in your case.

Do not pick at them or squeeze them - this could lead to a serious infection. Till then, you could use an over the counter antibacterial local application cream and see if it helps.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us about how you are doing.

Regards.