Dermatology Expert Forum
Color change on rash on penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Color change on rash on penis

14 days ago noticed a 1/2x1/2 square area on the folds of my penis (by the head). I am circumsized. Am 68 year old white male. Went to my dermatologist and he gave me some Lotrimin cream but he did not know what this was. The center had a black area on it and there was a red area on the glans (glands) on top. Also underneath a small area about the diameter of a pea. No itching but sore to the touch. After two days went to my urologist. He looked at it and said NOT a fungus and found a picture of what he thought it was in a book K. Sarcoma. He wanted to do a punch biopsy. He emphasized he was NOT sure it was K. Sarcoma. 3 days later I was ready to do biopsy and he was taking pictures of the penis and area. He seemed puzzled and I asked him what was going on. He said this area was NOT the same color as before. It was now the color of a peach (orange-red) but the black area had entirely disappeared. He then wrote a Rx for Mycolog II Cream. I did not think to ask him why he wrote this as he had told me 3 days earlier that it was not a fungus. Since Monday it has improved. The glans (glands) is still sensitive and the little pea sized area looks reddened and is slightly "weeping" I am applying Mycolog II Cream and Lidocaine Cream three times daily. Have an appt with a dermatologist in 2 weeks. But he seemed puzzled and I am puzzled at why the blackened area that was in the center is now completely gone. I am cleaning it three times daily with a towel-wipe before re-applying the cream mixture.
Mycolog contains a steroid as well as an anti-fungal medicine, and it's probably the steroid that's helping.  The black spot may have been a scab of some sort.  The 2-week onset sounds way too fast for this to be any kind of skin cancer.  My advice is to continue using the cream, but not to clean the skin with a towel-wipe, since that is unnecessary and is almost certainly making the condition last longer and aggravating it.  Gentle cleansing with water is sufficient.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you Dr. Rockoff for your comments on my penile skin condition. I was also wondering by my urologist's comments re: K Sarcoma. He told me this is a very slow growing cancer. Well if it is a slow-growing cancer, how could this show up in 2-3 weeks (where it had not been before) and now,today, the black area is gone and itis looking more and more normal. (It has not gone away) but I have only been applying the Mycolog II Cream for 3 days. My brother who works in San Francisco told me that K. Sarcoma is a type of cancer that many homosexual men contacted thru anal sex. Well I have been faithful to my wife of 30 years and so I, also, was puzzled. I have a follow-up appt 3 weeks out with a highly recommended dermatoligist (Dr. J.Mark Bauer) here in Olympia, WA to just check it out 3 weeks out. I will use just Sterile Water for Irrigation to cleanse the area in addition to showering twice daily. Thanks so much for you kind comments and I am not afraid any more. The "C" diagnosis I am sure scares everyone....
Sincerely,

Richard DeGarmo
Dr. how could K. Sarcoma or any cancer appear in two weeks on penis when I was told by my urologist that this is a slow growing cancer. Is that possible. I wrote you before. The Mycolog II Cream has helped and the area is free of any red area but want to know about the purplish-red area on the corona of the glans (glands) penis?? It is sensitive to the touch and a bit painful. I apply the Mycolog II Cream three times daily. (I think you told me also that cancer would NOT generally appear in 2 weeks on the penis (folds-glans).

Have you personally ever seen a case of K. Sarcoma which appears full blown in 2 weeks and I thought this type of cancer was normally in homosexual men and was located in other areas of the body??

Any reassurance you could give me would be helpful!! I will be seeing my dermatologist on Tuesday March 27th.

Last question: Would you suggest I NOT tell him about any past diagnosis by the urologist and just let him tell me what he observes??
Rich DeGarmo