Cyst Removal

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Cyst Removal

A few years ago I developed what I thought was a pimple on my cheek. A few months later when it got bigger instead of going away, I went to a surgeon. He said it was cyst and needed to be removed. He said it would be very minimal scarring. I had him remove it, and there is a very tiny scar. Now there is a knot underneath {scar tissue} and a hole in the middle of it. It is so ugly. How do I get rid of the hole and does anything make the scar tissue go away or get softer?

Please help! I'm 35 y/o wife and mom of 4. My kids always wants to know "mommie why is there a hole in your face". It is so embarrassing, and I feel so uncomfortable at work.

From the symptoms it looks like the cyst has reformed and it can be a sebaceous cyst. They may occur anywhere on body but scalp, ears, back, face, and upper arm, are common sites for sebaceous cysts. Blocked sebaceous glands, swollen hair follicles and excessive testosterone production will cause such cysts.

Generally no treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected, Then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required. You can discuss these treatment options with your dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.