Damaged Skin/Sebaceous Glands from Benzoyl Peroxide

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I seriously damaged my skin by packing on and I mean PACKING ON benzoyl peroxide day and night from age 14 to 19 for acne. I haven’t had to wash my face in years. I just gently rinse it once a day. It’s super dry, raw, sensitive… you name it. It feels like a bad sunburn or atleast that’s the best way I can describe it. It doesn’t feel good if I’m in the west where it’s super dry or even in the east where it’s really humid. I never can go to sleep comfortably, I feel like **** always, and wake up with headaches because of it. I usually feel cold internally (which is a thing I have read in blogs some people with bad eczema say too) which I assume might come from my skin not functioning properly. It’s not genetic because my parents and all my siblings are oily people and the problem is only on my face specifically where I used the benzoyl peroxide, not anywhere on my body. I honestly think I damaged or shrunk my sebaceous glands and I just get no sebum at all.

Topically, I’ve tried everything to fix it. I’ve used Vaseline, Aquaphor, Lubriderm, Curel, Jergens, Oil of Olay, Cerave, Burt’s Bees products, Bath & Body products … (all those same over the counter products that have the same ingredients with maybe a slight variance) shea butter, cocoa butter, lard, beef tallow, lanolin, squalene oil, emu oil, mink oil, coconut oil, every kind of cooking oil you can think of, and any other product you can think of. Topical prescription creams that I’ve used include Atopiclair, Xclair, and P.O.L. cream. Honestly, I don’t know why there are any non-steroidal moisturizing creams because they have the same ingredients as over the counter creams. Some of these products might work for you because they work for a lot of people. However, for those of you who like these products, your skin is probably not as bad as mine. I think for most people, these types of products work with their own sebum, but I’m not sure how much if any sebum is being made by my face. In my case, where the problem is damaged skin and sebaceous glands because of scrubbing, rubbing, washing, and applying harsh chemicals for many years, the typical topical applications that you can buy in stores just do not work. ANYTHING that I put on my face will burn, irritate, or end up making me sick feeling in a way I can’t describe when I wake up the next morning. All products with petrolatum or mineral oil are just horrible. They irritate and also don’t allow the skin to breathe.

I’ve also experimented with lots of supplements for skin and I think MSM, fish oil, borage oil, and coconut oil are the best but they still don’t do much for me. I’ve read everything there is to read and tried everything there is to try. I’ve spent thousands of hours reading and thousands of dollars on supplements and topical products. I’ve seen multiple dermatologists and a plastic surgeon and none of them can help much more than what I can learn on the internet by myself Well that’s it I guess. I am writing this in hopes that someone who is in the same situation that I am or may know something that can help me will respond.