Dark Purple Bruise After IV

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dark Purple Bruise After IV

Hi All,

A couple of weeks ago I went for a CT Scan. For contrast imaging they had to inject a dye through IV. After the procedure, may be after a day or so, I saw a purple bruise (painless) about a cm south of where the IV needle was injected. The bruise stayed for 3 to 4 days and disappeared. Is it normal to have a bruise on the skin after such procedure? What is bothering is that the bruise was not exactly around the point where I got stuck by the needle. I didn't put any pressure (not knowing it is important) and removed the bandage right after I left the clinic.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi.

This may not be something to be worried about. The bruise appears to have been caused by the IV insertion. You have noted that the bruise has also subsided by now. Bruises may not exactly appear to lie on top the needle puncture site. It is due to leaking of blood in the surrounding area during the insertion and thus may have a very variable appearance. It is expected that bruises subside in a week or so. In you case, this appears to be mild bruising and it has resolved in less than a week. This should not be a cause of worry.
Vanessa, Thank you very much for your response.
Hi Vanessa, my dad recently had kidney stones and tok a iv, now he has a purple colored bruise and is painful when touched, I was wondering if this was a reaction or if its something severe. He came from the hospital on Monday, so its been about 3 days and it's still there,
hi i was hospitalized 4 months ago and my iv dried out and left a big black bruise on half of my arm its been 4 months and its still their and is still a little sensitive to the touch, what should i do about it or will it ever go away.