Dermatology Community
Dark patches on neck.
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dark patches on neck.

My daughter is almost 15 and she has these dark patches on the back of her neck. I've been reading around and I've heard it might be signs of diabetes, so I'm really worried,  plus she is a bit overweight, but I'm helping her with that.
She's had this for a few years now, but she would like to lose the dark discoloring on her neck before school starts. I've heard the Alpha Hydroxy cream might lighten it up a bit.
Any other suggestions?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Does she have any patches anywhere else??
I have had this on the back of my neck and was told that it was a fungal infection called pittyrisis versicolor (not sure of the spelling) I was advised to wash in shampoo called selsun.
When your daughter goes out in the sun does she also get patches of skin which don't tan as this is also a sign of the infection.
Blank
1351319_tn?1276846409
Honey, it is a sign of diabetes. I've had it since I was a little girl and I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 15. I was overweight. Not only were my patches on my neck, but also my armpit and inner thigh area. I forgot what the dark patches are called but my doctor explained to me that it is caused by the sugar sitting around ur blood streams. the lymph nodes on your neck, armpits and groin area absorb really easily. So the sugar is absorbed to your head and is encrusted on your neck. It sounds sick, but it can be treated. Glucophage helps lose weight and eating less sugar/carbohydrates = no dark patches.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...