Deep Belly Button odor,itch,and sensitivity.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Hello. I'm a 27 year old Cuban/American-Black professional male Nurse. I'm 6'2 and weigh around 235lbs. I'm not in terrible shape, but I do have a semi thick, and somewhat flabby abdomen that slightly hangs a bit.  Being in the medical field myself,  I feel rather ignorant not knowing how to take care of or what might be the stem or cause of my particular problem.  I've always had this oddly deep and wide Belly Button.  I measured it finding it to be 3.2 inches in depth. It dosen't really have a fowl odor perse, just sort of a musky scent like after a gym workout. It is also irritatingly itchy at times. There is no redness, swelling, nor emission of fluid or liquid suggesting any type of infection. Lint and other particles also seem to be a problem. I have excellent personal hygiene. When showering I pay special attention to my Navel using warm soapy water and either a wash cloth or several different Q-tips to give it a gentle but thorough scrubbing. I dry it out really well, and smooth some antimicrobial powder in its interior.  I have done this for about two weeks and there is neither positive nor negative change in the condition.  The area around my Navel, and for lack of a better term, the extra "fluff" you might say, is really ticklish.  The inside of my Belly Button is as well and just adds to the uncomfortable feeling while performing proper hygiene. I wear a T-shirt beneath my Nursing scrubs and there is also an uncomfortable sensation due to it sinking down inside the Navel as I move or walk. So in other words, it kinda wedges deep down inside and I'm constantly having to pull it out which can be a source of embarassment as it happens numerous times during my shift at work.  Could the fact that my Belly Button is rather deeply embedded in my abdomen cause this odor, itch, and the sensitivity?  I apologize if this question seems somewhat drawn out but I seek a serious reply to anyone who can offer answers to me.  Have any other males complained to you of this particular problem concerning Navel depth?  Your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

BlackTieCorp

This discussion is related to Belly button odor.
I have a very deep belly button as well, which would usually have a bad odor and minor irritation.  I tried multiple cures (powders, antifungal creams, tea tree oil, etc.)  The absolute best thing I have used is Hibiclens.  It is available over-the-counter and I had it on hand because I was using it in wound care for a friend.  It claims to have "antiseptic activity and a persistent antimicrobial effect with rapid bactericidal activity against a wide range of microorganisms."  I tried swabbing it in my belly button with cotton for about 30 seconds each morning and then rinsing it out when I showered.  The odor and irritation in my belly button was gone within a few days.  (Usually, to eliminate it I'd had to use an antifungal cream at least twice a day for weeks on end, and as soon as I stopped, the odor would return.)  Now, I swab out my belly button every few days with Hibiclens, and it is odor and irritation free on a continuous basis.  Hope this helps!
I have recently developed a very deep bellybutton and am having similar problems. Is it normal for the bellybutton to turn into a giant hole? lol