Dermatillomania

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dermatillomania

I am 20 years old and have been picking and biting the skin off my hands since I was 8. I do it consciously and sub-consciously and feel guilty and self hatred afterwards. They are red raw down to the beginning of my wrists but I can't stop.

From researching online dermatillomania and compulsive skin picking seem to be the two terms most relevant to what I do. However various websites say that it is an OCD-related disorder whereas others say it is self-harm. I have cut myself but it is less often now than before so perhaps it was related to the skin picking?

I recently went to see a doctor about it who didn't know anything about it and couldn't tell me anything. He did ask me to fill out a Hospital Anxiety and Depression form of which it turns out I have both however was not given any treatment or medication. I think that medication might help because I reckon it stems from anxiety and depression and it may take the edge of a bit. With regards to my hands, the doctor refered me to cbt however it will take months for me to find out if I am suitable for the treatment or not.

I have put off getting help for so many years now and finally it is time to do something about it before it is too late. I want help now and not four or five months from now.

Is there any more information you can give me or tell me who to see or what to do?

Thank you in advance.

It is true that dermatillomania is a type of OCD and medicines for treating dermatillomania include  (1) SSRIs; (2) opioid antagonists; and (3) glutamatergic agents. In addition, behavior therapy and cognitive behavior therapy are also helpful. For the same, I suggest you yon to consult a psychiatrist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers