Dermatology Community
Discoloration around my mouth
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Discoloration around my mouth

I noticed that I'm beginning to have discoloration around my mouth.  It seems to have started went I used a shaver to remove hair from the top of my lip, and some hair from the corners of my lip.  Now I have this light brown area around my mouth and it appears to go up near my noise.  I'm a medium brown complexion African American women and this is a big problem for me.  This situation is going into week #2.      I have been appling Aquaphor to the areas.  Help!!!!
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi

Is the area itchy?

Light discolorations may be due to an underlying fungal infection and it may also be a reaction to some external triggers. It may be pityriasis versicolor which is also a fungal in nature. I suggest that you refrain from using any cream and lotions over the area unless prescribed by your physician.

Have you had this checked by your physician already?
Blank
No, it is not itchy.  No, I have not been to see my physisian because it was not itchy.
Blank
Hi

This appears to be hypopigmented areas. Hypopigmented areas over the face may be secondary to infections such as a fungal infection as I have mentioned above. Hypopigmentation may also include vitiligo and pityriasis alba. However, vitiligo will present with stark white areas which do not apply to your case. Pityriasis alba may occur in adults also but the skin may be speckled with whitish spots. It is best to have this assessed by a dermatologist. This may need further assessment.
Blank
I will do an "emergency visit with my dermatologist in the a.m."  

Thank you for your help.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity