Discoloration on tip of penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Discoloration on tip of penis

I am a nineteen year old student who is uncircumcised. I was not able to break my foreskin until the age of 16. Ever since then there has been a purplish discoloration around the edge of the tip of my penis. I do not understand what it is, what caused it, or how i can treat it. Any help would be appreciated.
From your post I can understand that the penile condition that you were having was phimosis. It is a medical condition in which the foreskin cannot be drawn back over the tip of the penis. The purple discoloration that you are having can be due to hyperpigmentation skin which occurs when an excess of melanin, the brown pigment that produces normal skin color, forms deposits in the skin.

If the rash is accompanied by any irritation or itching then the possibility of erythrasma has to be evaluated otherwise the above mentioned condition is harmless. Also if there are any purple spots, then vascular conditions like petechiae or ecchymosis need to be ruled out.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing

Thank you for the information. Are there any over the counter medications/ creams that may treat hyperpigmentation? Or do you suggest to let a dermitologist examine first?
There are a number of creams available like azelaic acid, corticosteroids and tretinoin cream. Other treatment measures include laser treatment, Chemical peeling or microdermabrasion. But all these creams should be used only after getting an examination done from a dermatologist because the diagnosis has to be confirmed and moreover the skin of the penis is very sensitive for these creams. I hope it helps. Take care and regards.