Dermatology Expert Forum
Dry, Very Itchy Scrotum

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Dry, Very Itchy Scrotum

Hello I'm 18 and have been dealing with this problem for about 2 years. The skin on my scrotum has become dry and  becomes very itchy at times. The dryness has caused the skin to be a lighter color. The skin seems to be somewhat scaly at times when the dryness is extreme. Little flakes are produced and they shed in my underwear. My scrotum becomes extremely itchy and to a point where it is almost unbearable. These times, I can't help but to scratch the itch. I know this is only making it worse. I've never been to a doctor for this and I don't even know which one I'd report to.
It started as a single dry skin patch on my scrotum a little bigger than a quarter in size. At first the itch wasn't as bad, but then the area began to grow and spread across my scrotum over time. And as it continued to spread, the itching became more frequent and more unbearable. There have never been any bumps of any kind.  The skin on my scrotum has become dry almost all over and the feel is sometimes leathery. This problem has also spread on to the foreskin on my penis I believe. I am not circumcised, and the foreskin has also began to show signs similar to my scrotum. My anus also has developed a similar itch now, so I believe the problem has spread to other areas. I've taken a few pictures to see if you could tell me what is wrong and how I can solve this problem. Please help. Thank you for your time.

I think you have eczema.  That's what eczema looks like and acts like when it involves the scrotum, as it often does.  This is a hereditary condition, not a contagious or infected one.  I advise you to consult a dermatologist for diagnosis and proper treatment.  There are many prescription-strength cortisone creams that are safe and quite effective at suppressing the condition and making it easy to live with.  No need for you to suffer with and worry about it.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I have the same thing as the boy preveise that you said was ezcema (eczema)
my doctor gave me fusiden cream for it. which i belive is for ezcema (eczema). but he neaver said this to me. would you say thaty this is what itt is then. and if so is their any other cream that i can use to help. it mainly acurse when i sweat and get hot in that area.

please help as it is a very painful thing when you keep itching it  
A related discussion, red itchy leathery scrotum symptoms was started.
A related discussion, Srotal Rash ,itching and eruptions was started.
A related discussion, Dry Skin on the scrotum was started.