Dry, stinging, wrinkly eyelids

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dry, stinging, wrinkly eyelids

For about 5 months, on and off, I've had symptoms of very dry, flaking, sore and sometimes itchy eyelids, especially around the lash line, but moreso on the left eyelid which is also a bit swollen. I regularly take antihistamines for chronic hives in other areas of my body (I've had hives for a year now) and they dont seem to help with my eyelids. I went to the family doctor who said its probably a skin condition but possibly an allergy as well on the left. She told me to use Lid Care to cleanse the lids and apply Hydrocortisone Acetate 1% 4x a day to my lids. I'd like to know what the steroids are doing. Will this cream clear up the condition?

I notice my lids are feeling better but are still flaky (very flaky today compared to yesterday) and wonder if its ok to also apply an unscented lotion. I'm wondering if the steroid cream is making my lids drier. At the lash line it's so wrinkly that it's sort of puckered. I have semi-permanent (tattooed) eyeliner on top and bottom lids, but it was done about 4 years ago so I'm assuming that isn't the problem (and the bottom lid isnt bothering me at all). I see the doctor again in 2 weeks if this hasnt gone away, but just want to know if the steroid cream might be making it more dry in the meantime.

Thanks in advance! :)
It can be due to seborrheic dermatitis, blepharitis especially seborrhiec blepharitis, icthyosis or leprosy. Blepharitis is an ocular disease characterized by chronic inflammation of the eyelid margins. I suggest you to consult a dermatologist and get all these possibilities evaluated.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I should add that this condition has worsened over the last 3 weeks, which is why I went to the doctor.

Thank you for your reply. It has subsided quite a bit by using Lens Care 4x a day and now worst of the symptoms are flaking skin/dryness. There is no more itching. I also saw a piece on the news the other day regarding eyelid mites, and the symptoms looked similar as well. The mites were caused by not properly washing off makeup (clogged pores around the lash line). Waiting lists for dermatologists are about 6 weeks here, so I was trying to self-treat while waiting :)