Dry Skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dry Skin

I have a very dry and peeling skin.what soap and skin cream can i be using to heal this.what is the remedy for this.
  • Dry Skin (1 replies):
    Everytime I wash my face, I get dry, flaky skin. I have ...[more]
  • dry skin (1 replies):
    my facial skin was very soft , fair and little oily till...[more]
  • dry skin (1 replies):
    i have dry skin and i am using dove soap only but my ski...[more]
  • dry skin (1 replies):
    hello, i have suffered from dry skin in the past but rec...[more]
  • Dry face (1 replies):
    My face has been dry all week. I'll scrub it, and then t...[more]
Dry skin results when there is not enough water in the stratum corneum for it to function properly. Too much soapy water, exposure to harsh chemicals, the normal aging process and certain types of skin diseases are some of the causes of decreased amounts of protective skin oils which in turn causes dry skin.

The mainstay of management is liberal use of moisturizers after washing with luke warm water. Soap should be used minimally. Moisturizers should be reapplied liberally during the day. You can also use a topical cortisone (steroid) cream or ointment like dermacort(hydrocortisone). Adding a humidifier to the central heating system of your home or using a humidifier also helps.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.