Dry and flaky skin on my inner thigh

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dry and flaky skin on my inner thigh

I am an asian male with dark brown skin. I have noticed the area where my thigh and groin meet is dry and flaky.  It is also white in color. Please help!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This could be tinea cruris which is a fungal skin infection of the groin.  This condition  is more common in men than in women. The fungi thrives in  warm, moist places. It is contagious and can be spread by direct or indirect contact through damp towels or combs.  The usual presentation is a large, scaly, red-brown patch on the groinand sometimes affects the scrotum. Associated symptoms like itching, burning sensation in the infected area may also be observed. It is important to keep the area clean and dry.

It would be best to have this evaluated by your doctor. Diagnosis is through a scrape from the lesion for cultivation and examination under a microscope. The infection can be treated with topical or oral antifungal  medication prescribed by your doctor. Treatment is  usually continued for a while after the rash has gone, to minimize the risk of recurrence.

Take care and regards.
hey ,
i am also suffering from something similar kind of thing.
my skin in this area has also been torn a times or two.
what do you reckon i should do?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Are there other signs or symptoms present? This could indeed a fungal infection but it is important that it is diagnosed properly for treatment to be effective. Fungal infection responds well to medication. If over-the-counter antifungals are not effective, you may need to have a stronger medication. A visit to your dermatologist would help determine the underlying cause. It is also  important to keep the area clean and dry.

Another condition that we need to rule out is dry skin or xerosis. This presents as  rough, dry skin with fine scaling of skin and sometimes  with small cracks.  This is due to a decrease in the natural oils in the outer layer of skin. This is often caused by cold weather,  frequent bathing,  atopic dermatitis and malnutrition. Take a bath or shower only once daily and use lukewarm water. It may also help if you avoid harsh soap or detergents.  Oil based  moisturizer immediately after bathing, while the skin is still moist may also be applied.

Take care and keep us posted.
My inner thighs are dark and hard. When its dry i can peel off the dead skin like scales. And if i apply some moisture it will come of when rubbing like dirt comes of as rolls from our hand folds. Pls help. I usually shower twice
Hi! I am a 35 year old female who suffered from your illness since I was 13, when I first noticed that I was still younger and I was panicking so I told my mum and she quickly gave me money to see the doctor but the doctor only gave me a cream and assured me there was nothing wrong within few days it will go away. Anyway I don't know why, I just didn't believe the doctor and as I predicted it never went away. Instead I have grown older with it and had accepted it as part of my life. Now my inner thigh are darker than any part of my body and that area is turns white when I am peeling off my scales. if I moisurise it, rolls of dirt will come out. So I am not bothered anymore about it and I wash my body when I feel like it.. instead I peel them when the scales are ready to be peeled of and if Ib wash and dirt comes out, I take it out too and wash myself or the area affected.

What excites me more is that I have a loving fiance who love me to bits with my illness, who treats me like a queen and will be marrying me soon. So what is it that I am missing out in life-nothing, instead people wish they can be me (well they don't know about my illness and as such will never know, it's only my fiance who knows about it and when I told him about it, she said well YOU ARE BIG WHAT DID A EXPECT AND I LOST WEIGHT WORRIED ABOUT IT, AND I SAID TO HIM LOOK I STILL HAVE IT AND HE SAID LET ME STOP CREATING MOUNTAINS OUT OF HILLS, WE ARE GETTING MARRIED SOON SO LET ME START PREPARING FOR OUR WEDDING,,,SO WHAT MORE COULD I ASK FOR, SO MY LESSON TO YOU IS STOP WORRYING AND START LEAVING...OF COURSE I DON'T DO THE PEELING INFRONT OF HIM, I ALWAYS GO TO THE BATHROOM AND DO THE PEELING PRIVATELLY WITHOUT HIM SEEING ME DOING IT PHYSICALLY INFSACT HE NEVER SAW ME DOING IY(YOU SEE I DON'T WANT TO SCARE HIM AWAY- I LIKE THE WAY HE HAS TAKEN THIS ILLNESS OF MINE AND I PREFER IT THAT WAY.

NOW  MY LAST LESSON TO YOU, YOU ARE NOT ALONE, THERE MAY MILLIONS OF US SUFFERING FROM THIS ILLNESS MAY BE OTHERS HAVE GOT SOME HELP SOME WHERE I DON'T KNOW, BUT THEN P[EOPLE LIKE ME AND YOU HAVE NOT FOUND THAT HELP SO WITH THIS KIND OF SHARING MAY BE THEY WILL COME OUT AND SHARE THE CURE WITH US SO YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT PATH BY WRITTING HERE AND SHARING....BUT THEN IN THE MEANTIME STOP WORRYING AND START LEAVING...BY THE WAY I AM STILL SEEKING HELP AND WILL DO TILL I DIE BUT 4NOW LIFE GOES ON, IF I GET HELP ITS FINE, IF I DON'T WHO CARES LIFE GOES ON..........