Dry/peeling scalp and face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Dry/peeling scalp and face

My scalp is always dry and flaky, as well as my face, especially around my eyebrows, forehead, and hairline.  I have tried everything in the book-steroid foams, creams, lotions, shampoos, salicylic acid, sulfur, you name it.  I cannot even put on my makeup without first slathering cream and aquaphor ointment on my face.  I get microdermabrasion once every two weeks, and have even had UV light therapy.  My aesthetician swears that I am using a retinoid or benzoyl peroxide derivative to make my skin so flaky, but I certainly am not.  I am a pharmacist, and feel that I am somewhat educated on most skin problems, but I cannot figure this one out.  Could it be internal?  Some sort of vitamin deficiency?  The rest of my skin (other than face and scalp) is pretty dry, too.  I have had my thyroid checked, but never had vitamin levels checked.  Any advice?  I am so tired of being embarassed.
This could be seborrhoeic dermatitis. It is a skin disorder affecting the scalp, face, and trunk causing scaly, flaky, itchy, red skin. It particularly affects the sebum-gland rich areas of skin.
Side effects to inflammation may include temporary hair loss. If severe outbreaks are untreated for extended intervals, permanent hair loss may result, because of damage to hair follicles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrhoeic_dermatitis
Soaps and detergents such as sodium laureate sulfate may precipitate a flare-up, as they strip moisture from the top layers of the skin, and the drying property of these can cause flare-ups and may worsen the condition. Accordingly a suitable alternative should be used instead.
Among dermatologist recommended treatments are shampoos containing coal tar, ciclopiroxolamine, ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, or zinc pyrithione. For severe disease, keratolytics such as salicylic acid or coal tar preparations may be used to remove dense scale. Topical terbinafine solution (1%) has also been shown to be effective in the treatment of scalp seborrhoea,as may lotions containing alpha hydroxy acids or corticosteroids (such as fluocinolone acetonide). Pimecrolimus topical lotion is also sometimes prescribed.
It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for his symptoms and a proper clinical examination if the symptoms persist.
Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.
Regards.
I have also suffered all my life with itchy scalp,dandruff,peeling eyebrows and forehead,
redness around the nose and on the chin.
I also went through all these chemicals you've described but they gave only temporary relief,like
two to three days.
About three years ago I read somewhere that in the old days people used cider vinegar for these conditions.
Just straight out of the bottle(normally 5-6% strength stated).It helped enormously.It cleared my dandruff
which is more than half of the battle because the condition seems to tricle down from the sculp with sweat
and you can follow this tricle line on the face:forehead/eyebrows,two sides of nose .
It must be cider vinegar.On the scalp use a small plastic squeezable bottle with a spout to put the liquid on the scalp with scratching movement.
On the face use cotton wool,initially try it diluted half cider vinegar/half water.
Obviously it could cause more peeling but this is the sign of the skin is shedding scales.Itchiness stops within a day or two and the biggest advantage is that it is a natural product.