Dry scalp and flaky skin near the front of the hairline

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I think because of the extremely dry cold weather, I've been using very hot water in the shower.......so my scalp has been a bit dryer than normal. Especially near the front by the hairline, its got a white flaky look to my scalp and I've also noticed a very pink look to the skin around the area which also has been flaky.........

What's happening to me and what should I do? I tried tea tree oil on the flaky skin, but I don't think its helping much......

Will switching to a Selsun blue or dandruff shampoo help? What should I do about the pink flaky skin around my hairline? Any help is much appreciated. Its not itchy or irritating but it does not look good and I hate having flaking. Thank you
  • Very Dry scalp (1 replies):
    Hi, I have severe dry scalp and drink plenty of water an...[more]
  • help me please (1 replies):
    i have dandruff in my head, but my dandruff is very stic...[more]
  • dry scalp (1 replies):
    Since I had a hysterectomy a few months ago I have had a...[more]
  • severe dandruff (1 replies):
    In the Winter my scalp gets very dry. I try dandruff sha...[more]
  • dandruff (1 replies):
    Hi I've dandruff how to cure it..

It can be due to dandruff which can be due to internal or external causes.

Dandruff can cause either an overly dry scalp with itchy white flakes that may be waxy or greasy, or it can manifest as an oily scalp with scales.
Internal causes include hormonal imbalance, poor health, poor hygiene, allergic hypersensitivity, lack of rest, emotional stress, excessive consumption of sugar, fat or starch and heredity predisposition.
External causes include excessive use of hair sprays and gels, improper use of hair-coloring products, cold weather and dry indoor heating, infrequent shampooing of the hair or inadequate rinsing of the scalp and hair. Sometimes it can be due to fungal infection/ring worms also.

Eat a healthy diet. You can also take vit B6 and vit A and E which are good for hair and skin. Try medicated shampoos for dandruff. There are a number of over-the-counter shampoos available that can help. The most effective ingredients -- antimicrobials -- to look for are zinc pyridinethione, selenium sulfide, sulfur and ketoconazole (also available by prescription). If your hair is colored, don't use products with selenium sulfide or sulfur.

If the symptoms persist please consult a trichologist for the confirmatory diagnosis and treatment.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

thank you very much. i'll try your suggestions.......however its been happening recently and i haven't changed my food habits or gels at all.........i'm even wondering why its happening recently.