Face Redness
Hi Dr. I used to use benzoyl peroxide for my acne. It worked very well for me but gradually began to turn my skin red where the BP was applied. I was more than likely using too much as well. Went off it and colour improved but the acne returned. So started back on BP as was desperate to get rid of acne as had tried everything else available previously. Eventually got to stage when i had to stop cause i was beginning to look like a tomato. Its been a year and half since stopped and my skin has improved slightly but still quite red, particularly when playing sport, after shaving, in hot or cold temperatures, when consuming alcohol and just after showering or swimming. Have tried all types of creams, moisturisers, aloe vera etc but all irritate my skin too much so jus wash with water. It does seem to improve though anytime i'm taking anti-inflammatories but then returns when i finish taking them. HELP PLEASE!!

When using dermatologic products for the face , avoid prolonged sun exposure as well as other activities that may cause a reaction ( eg swimming pool chemicals may react with the medications, alcohol by itself may cause flushing of the face as it is being metabolized by the body). You may ask a dermatologist if you may be prescribed a sunblock cream or gel that you may use when you are to spend more time outdoors. Apply the medications only when necessary and only in affected areas.

A consult with a dermatologist for other alternative medications and therapy may help, given that you have an active lifestyle.