Folliculitis on genitals

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Folliculitis on genitals

Have been bothered by this for a while.Please bring some clarity to the issue for me so I can be at ease.

a couple years ago I got a series[3-4] of small pimple like blisters on my scrotum a few days after some sexual activity[protected intercourse & unprotected oral].It eventually went away only to return on the shaft of my penis [bottom side]a few months later.This time I went to a dermatologist & he quickly diagnosed it as folliculitis without much thought.I got a cream from him and it cleared the problem up rather quickly[within 7days.The doctor seemed to think it was due to shaving in the area to closely.
Since then I have stoped shaving in that area, however I still get this folliculitis every so often about 8 months apart now.
Kind of reminds me of herpes in the way that it reappears every so often.It only appears on the botton side of the penis shaft and mostly in the company of hair folicules. No other issues co-inside with this other than some anxiety.

Are there distinguishing differences between folliculits and herpes?Is it common for folliculitis to reoccur like this?

any insight is appreciated.

Maybe you are wearing pants or underwear that is too tight.Do you wear tight/restricting clothing ever? All I have read about folliculitis says it is caused by injury/irrataion to the hair follicle. Even if hair is very curly/course it says this alone can cause folliculitis because the hair curls around and irratates the hair follicle. In which case it would seem like it could reoccur since most pubic hair IS curly or course.
Try wearing only cotton underwear that is loose fitting...and same for pants (avoid those tight jeans or slacks,and definitely not lycra or spandex!) If you can cut back on friction/irratating those hair follicules then hopefully it will happen less frequently. Hope this helps.
i have almost the same problem as you at this moment. I have had unprotected sex with more than one partners, but i have not for a while. Just recently i discovered little bumps, pimple like bumps in my genital area. I went to the doctor and got them checked and she said it was just Folliculitis. She didn't seem to sure and also did not give me a medication for it, and they still havn't gone away. She told me to wait 2 weeks and if they were still there i had to go back right away. Thursday will be two weeks, so i will see what she has to say. I am a young women so i do wear tight jeans, and i do lots of sports so i also wear spandex a lot, so i'm hoping that has something to do with it. And that this is NOT genital herpes, for thats what it looks like. My doctor also mentioned that it couldn't be anything such as genital warts and i think herpes too, because the bumps have a hair in the middle of them.
i have had the same problem as you.  i only get the pimples on the bottom side of my penis and only on a hair follicle.  i went to the doctors and he said it was folliculitis.  though that was almost a year ago.  the doctor gave me medication and it cleared up for a while, then came back, and has been coming back every now and then.  they hurt and itch.  ive been troubled wit it for a while now and i want to find a cure because it seems the meds my doctor gave me arnt working to well.  i keep thinkin it may be herpes because i had unprotected sex.  and that drives me crazy. so i know how you feel. only a test for herpes, more medication and stayin healthy will help.