Dermatology Expert Forum
Folliculitis?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Folliculitis?

HI i am a 21 year old male and i have developed some red bumps on my thighs and buttock as well as on my scrottum and base of my penis.

The bumps on my thighs are few and far between and are very small almost barely visible some have hairs in the middle. The bumps on my buttock seem to be closer together (these bumps are maybe a millimeter in diameter) They don't puss or ooze just itch now and then.

As far as the bumps on my genitals, i have 3 at the moment. Two
are red cysts at the base of hairs one on my scrotum and one at the base of my penis about an inch from the other. They are a little smaller than a pea. They don't ooze of puss and just itch. The third bump is underneath my scrotum and resembles the ones on my legs. These bumps have been reacuring since the begining of june.

Brief history: The first bump came shortly after i had cured myself of a scabies infection which had lasted a few months before i found out what i had had. I have also shaved my body and my genitals...my body i only trimmed with clippers and my genitals i have actually shaved with a razor on more than one occasion.

I have been tested for STD's which i figure was negative since the doctor never called me with the results. I have also seen a dermatologist who had prescribed me a topical antibiotic (CLINDAMYCIN PHOSPHATE) which i have been using for the bumps on my scrotum for about a month now and it doesn't seem to do much except help with the itching a little. The dermatologist had said that it might have been an infection from the scabies mites, he had also giving me steriod shots to the areas. The bumps did go away for awhile but then return after a few weeks, this was about two months ago.

At the time i had only had the two bumps on my scrotum and a few ingrown hairs...the other smaller bumps (the ones on my thighs and left buttock.) just came about in the last week or two or so.

I have been a little worried that it might be herpes but the derm said it wasn't.

I am wondering what it might be and if you can give me any advice as to what to do to clear it up or what i should ask my doctor to do or any advice at all...

Thank you,
james

These sound like clogged pores, or folliculitis.  I am a little confused by your extensive history, but I can't think of any connection with scabies, or herpes for that matter.  I think you should leave the bumps alone and consult the doctor or doctors who have been taking care of you during prior episodes.  They would be in the best position to clarify your situation and recommend treatment, if any is needed.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
PS: i forgot to mention that when on of the cysts finally goes away usually another one will pop in another place on my scrotum...they seem to have a couple set places...when they go away its nothing special it just slowly goes down and vanishes.
hello, im cassie. im 17 and ive only been with 2 people. I noticed a large hard bump on my out genitals and went to the doctor. they said it was not an STD. i was happy but wanted the bumps to go away. i have had them for about 4 months now. the doctors gave me amaxicilan and some creme. i used as directed but they wont go away. they itch and are very large ( about the size of a nickel some of them) and hard. when i queeze them puss and blood do come out. can u help me on trying to figure out what it is.