Dermatology Expert Forum
Folliculitis
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Folliculitis

Hello Doctor,

I recently came from my clinic which diagnosed me with folliculitis. I am currently taking Cephalexin 500mg for 10 days, 4  times a day. I have pimple like rashes on the following areas: arms, chest, neck, legs, and back. They are very itchy.

These are my questions:

1. When I take this antibiotic, what should I expect in the coming days?

2. What is the duration that Folliculitis will run its course?

3. Is it unusual for folliculitis to sometimes clump close together?

4. What does antihistamines have to do with relieving itching symptoms?

5. When I finish these antibiotics after 10 days and do not see an improvement, what course of action should I request from my doctor?

6. When does folliculitis get worse? What symptoms are they?

7. What can I do to stop itching? I am using benadryl ointment, hydrocortizone and triaminclone to help with the itch. I am also jumping the cold shower twice a day.

8. My folliculitis started out from my pubic hair area. Is it normal for folliculitis to spread throughout the body?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! =)
Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
1. When I take this antibiotic, what should I expect in the coming days?
Improvement.

2. What is the duration that Folliculitis will run its course?
Weeks to months.

3. Is it unusual for folliculitis to sometimes clump close together?
No.

4. What does antihistamines have to do with relieving itching symptoms?
Antihitsmines help itch.

5. When I finish these antibiotics after 10 days and do not see an improvement, what course of action should I request from my doctor?
Additional suggestions, perhaps antibacterial soaps, or application of antibacterial ointments to the nostrils to suppress staph germs that live there.

6. When does folliculitis get worse? What symptoms are they?When you see more lesions.

7. What can I do to stop itching? I am using benadryl ointment, hydrocortizone and triaminclone to help with the itch. I am also jumping the cold shower twice a day.
All good.

8. My folliculitis started out from my pubic hair area. Is it normal for folliculitis to spread throughout the body?
Common enough.

I have one question--didn't you ask any of these questions to the doctor when you were diagnosed?  How come?  (OK, thta's two questions.)

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
3 Comments
Blank
=) Thanks for the reply.

The answer to your question...

After being seen by the NP and concluding that it was folliculitis, I only got to ask the first 2 questions. The rest of the questions I thought of after the fact.

I appreciate your knowledge on the subject.

I now have blister on my hands and fingers. Is this also folliculitis?

Thanks again.
Blank
242489_tn?1210500813
I doubt it.  Probably a mild form of eczema, not worth treating if it isn't too bothersome.

Dr. Rockoff
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank