Dermatology Expert Forum
Folliculitis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Folliculitis

Hello Doctor,

I recently came from my clinic which diagnosed me with folliculitis. I am currently taking Cephalexin 500mg for 10 days, 4  times a day. I have pimple like rashes on the following areas: arms, chest, neck, legs, and back. They are very itchy.

These are my questions:

1. When I take this antibiotic, what should I expect in the coming days?

2. What is the duration that Folliculitis will run its course?

3. Is it unusual for folliculitis to sometimes clump close together?

4. What does antihistamines have to do with relieving itching symptoms?

5. When I finish these antibiotics after 10 days and do not see an improvement, what course of action should I request from my doctor?

6. When does folliculitis get worse? What symptoms are they?

7. What can I do to stop itching? I am using benadryl ointment, hydrocortizone and triaminclone to help with the itch. I am also jumping the cold shower twice a day.

8. My folliculitis started out from my pubic hair area. Is it normal for folliculitis to spread throughout the body?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! =)
Improvement.

Weeks to months.

No.

Antihitsmines help itch.

Additional suggestions, perhaps antibacterial soaps, or application of antibacterial ointments to the nostrils to suppress staph germs that live there.

6. When does folliculitis get worse? What symptoms are they?When you see more lesions.

All good.

Common enough.

I have one question--didn't you ask any of these questions to the doctor when you were diagnosed?  How come?  (OK, thta's two questions.)

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
=) Thanks for the reply.

The answer to your question...

After being seen by the NP and concluding that it was folliculitis, I only got to ask the first 2 questions. The rest of the questions I thought of after the fact.

I appreciate your knowledge on the subject.

I now have blister on my hands and fingers. Is this also folliculitis?

Thanks again.
I doubt it.  Probably a mild form of eczema, not worth treating if it isn't too bothersome.

Dr. Rockoff