Dermatology Community
Genital Eczema in a toddler
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Genital Eczema in a toddler

I have a 2 1/2 year old, she has had a rash in her genital area for six months now. I have seen the doctors several times and also seen a pediatric dermatologist. He diagnosed it as Eczema. The rash clears up with steroid and then comes back with in a week. My concern is the use of steroid. I am monitoring her diet but its very hard to pinpoint what is the trigger. I use an ointment to keep the area moisturized all the time. Please suggest what else i can do?
Related Discussions
563773_tn?1374250139
Hello,

Eczema is dry, scaly, itchy skin that appears irritated. Although not contagious, eczema can become infected if scratched. Infants can develop eczema almost anywhere, but behind the knees and elbows, and on the face, neck and belly are the most common sites.

Keep the skin of your baby adequately moisturized, limit the no. of baths and bathe her with luke warm water not hot water as it dries the skin.Use a very mild soap like Aveeno, Dove or Cetaphil  and pat the skin dry, never rub and immediately apply a thick moisturizer(mild,non perfumed).Apply moisturizer frequently to avoid dryness. Put socks or mittens over your daughter’s hands to keep her from scratching affected skin.A dermatologist’s evaluation and mild corticosteroid cream(as prescribed by her dermatologist)will be the best.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how your daughter is doing.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank