Dermatology Expert Forum
Genital warts

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Genital warts

About 2 years ago I noticed a few small bumps around my genital area, I immediatley panicked and thought they were warts. Since then I have seen several professionals, doctors, nurses etc.. they have all said that they aren't warts, however, the last doctor I saw did an hpv test and it was positive, yet, she still says what I have aren't warts they are just a natural part of my skin. I am confused. If these aren't warts, what could they be. They don't feel normal to me, sometimes they itch. Are there "normal" bumps on a female's genital skin? The bumps I have are smooth feeling, very very small almost unoticeable, and the same color as the skin in that area.They never burn or hurt, and they havent changed at all since I noticed them about 2 years ago. Any information you can give me will be great.
They're probably small cysts in the skin.  Men and women both get these on the genitals.  They look a little like warts, but they aren't.

I assume that the HPV test that was positive was on your cervix.  The bumps wouldn't have anything to do with that.

If I were you, I'd ignore the bumps altogether.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I have had these for years and I'd like to reassure you about them. They are entirely benign. They're sebaceous gland cysts - those tiny glands that produce waxy lubrication in the hair follicle (even though I've got them on the inside of the labia too). At first I had a couple that were large enough to bother me and I had them taken out (it took 2 minutes in the office) but the surgeon said she wouldn't to do any more since they'll just grow back. It's possible, if you pick at them, to get them infected, but if you leave them alone and they don't change alot you can just ignore them.
I think I have these cysts and I was wondering is there any way they will go away without sergery (surgery) by any chance.
This is to Hisop....
When you first noticed them, did you freak out and think they were warts too?
I good friends recently noticed what looked like a"wart" at the ebase of the penis, I looked at it to me it doesn't look like a wart but a pimple? He has been exposed to another female with Herpes on her mouth could he have caught somethingfrom her? Should he have it checked out by his PCP?  
thanks
No, I didn't freak out and think they were warts. I think of warts as being "on the outside" and these were very obviously under or in the skin. I don't think having warts would have scared me all that much since I have a friend who does have vaginal warts and has had them successfully removed permanently and without further trouble. What bothered me was one or two became infected. They aren't even irritated by intercourse and I think they've gotten smaller over time. I leave them alone and they leave me alone.