Granuloma Annulare link to cancer

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Granuloma Annulare link to cancer

I have read that granuloma annulare may be linked to cancer.  How common is that in granuloma annulare that shows up in an adult female?
I've been researching this for some time and have not yet come across an evidence to suggest this but if you do find any I will add it to my blog.
Granuloma annulare is a benign inflammatory dermatosis. It has been shown to be associated with some malignancies like lymphomas, leukemias and solid tumors. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I have had GA for over 20 years.  Outta nowhere, for no apparent reason, I got a few, we treated them with cortizone injections and they went away only to be replaced with new ones.  I have never had any on my face but they show up constantly.  Rarely do they itch but they are ugly.  I have tried the creams and they are useless in my case.  My patches seem to have about a 5 year life span.  If I get one in a highly visible area I will get it injected but other thatn that I have learned to live with them and dress around them,  No middriff baring for me because right now I have a band of about 20 across my belly, didnt wear short shorts for years because of a couple bad ones on the back of my thighs.   I have had other skin conditions also - small tumors removed - nothing cancerous.  I was a hairstylist for 10 years and I thought the chemicals were to blame but I 've been out of that now for longer than I did it and I still have the GA so I guess that wasnt the case.  OH - I was about 25 when I got my first flare up and I am 45 now and it shows no sign of stopping.  So sorry but you may have to learn to live with this for the long term.
My wife first got GA after being given Atenelol. It lasted for several years then cleared up but not completely. She still had splotches on her legs. Then they gave her Metoprolol and here comes the GA again. This time it is worse than ever. Her legs look terrible. There is no wearing shorts for her. The people that gave her the Metoprolol knew she had a reaction to Beta Blockers but gave them to her anyway. We are thinking of contacting an attorney because her appearance is just ruined. She is scared and embarrassed because of this condition. The doctors told her it was caused from Diabetes but her whole family has Diabetes and they don't have this condition. I think thats a crock of Bull.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers