Dermatology Expert Forum
HPV or Skin Tag?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

HPV or Skin Tag?

Doc.

I found a growth on the side of my scrotum, located close to the base, near my leg.  It is postioned so there is significant friction against my inner thigh during times of activity.  The growth is smooth, flesh colored and quite soft.  It is more like "flap" than a "bump".  I noticed this about two years ago, and somehow let it slip from my mind.  Recently I noticed another one, on the opposite side of the scrotum, postioned in the same manner in relation to my inner thigh.  I noticed this after "trimming" hair in the area and it became irritated.  Once again, this growth is soft, flesh colored and more of a "flap" than anything else.  This made me examine my prior growth which hasn't changed in size over the time.  I am concerned that this is HPV, but it really doesn't look like anything I've seenin research.  Also, I know this isn't ideal, but I applied vinegar to the region and no area turned white.  I will be going to a doctor but wanted some input in the meantime.  Thank you.
Most likely these are skin tags, fleshy pieces of skin that appear on the neck, under the arms, or in the groin, where they tend to be bigger and more obtrusive.  If the doctor you see is a dermatologist, he or she should be able to cauterize them under local anesthesia with minimal discomfort, so they won't be in the way.  Meantime, leave 'em alone.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you for your response....

I also continued to look closer and noticed about three tiny (slightly larger than a needle point) pearl colored "bumps" on the under side of my shaft.  They are not grouped together and are smooth to the touch.  They also appear to be beneath the skin as opposed to a growth above the skin.  From what I can tell by reading other postings here, they are cysts.  However, this discovery, coupled with my prior posting made me a little paranoid about them.
They do indeed sound like cysts.  When you go to get rid of your tags, check them out.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, Skin Flaps- are they HPV or something less serious? was started.