Dermatology Expert Forum
Hair Loss

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Hair Loss

I loose a lot of hair every time I wash my hair, I still do not see any physical signs of hair loss on my head, that is when one looks in the mirror and by feeling.
I have been loosing hair for many years now.
What should I do ?
I do dye my hair, and use products like Hair Gel, Hair spray etc, on a daily basis.
I am having headaches often, and have been allergic to different foods, like dairy products, shell sseafood & coloring added to foods, Red-40 & Yellow, since December of '98.
I am 45 and the doctor says it might be that I am in my Peri-Menopause icw, allergies.
Ava:

People normally lose up to 100 hairs per day.  This is because each scalp hair lives only about 3 years.  Then it falls out and gets replaced.

Almost everyone thins out over time, even if they aren't "going bald."  If you have seen hair fall out "for years," yet don't feel thinner, then I don't think you should waste any time worrying or changing products.  Look at some of the hairs that come out: if there's a little white "club" at the end of each --  and there will be--  then those hairs have finished living and are supposed to come out.

Best.

Dr. R
I have these pimples on my scalp that hurt and when I touch them they HURT.  When I push on them a clear liquid pops out, I can see it on my finger nail.  What is this? and what antibotic (antibiotic) do I take to get rid of it?  I had this several years ago and a dermatoligist put me on an antibotic (antibiotic) for 3 months that cleared it up.  that was 6 years ago.
Thanks Debbie
when some women go though menopause, how much of an affect does acne pose, when you have never had it before.

I am 32 years old. My hair is falling out more than usual. I have been taking spironolactone for 5 months. This doesn't seem to be working. I have thought about Rogaine. But, isn't this just temporary. I will have to use it forever?? I use regular shampoo.  I don't color my hair. I could use some advice.  What about Propecia.  What are the side effects?  Thanks, Lisa
i am also 32 & the same thing started happening to me about a year ago i went to see my doctor and i took a test for thyroid which came back o.k. so he gave me prozac.  i was a little offended & he said give it 2 weeks.  2 weeks to the day my hair stopped falling out.  

i am 23 yrs old and my hair is falling out really bad.its getting thinner every day and i'm scared i'm going bald.i've had my throids and hormones checked and it shows nothing.what should i do?i've taken prenatal vitamins and i've been to an herbal store where i've also taken herbs.any suggestions?
At 27 I felt a smooth spot on my scalp about the width of a silver dollar, only to find it was alopecia. It took over 3 years for me to even find out what that was since the doctors I visited didnt seem to know the term where I was. I went to a stress management class and was able to control it. Now THIS alopecia is one TRUE way to make SURE you take care of your problems and not let them build up! I only have to find closure and the nervous irritation  symptom stops.  Also, I have found that the essential oil Lavender is good when mixed proportionately with vegetable oil and rubbed on the itching area of the scalp that would soon shed the precious hairs.
I am 30 years old.
ihave lost my hair due to hair falling.
can I get my natural hair again.