DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
Hair itchiness and white things stuck to hair
by justagirl109, May 05, 2008
I've had this problem with my hair for almost a year now. My head is ALWAYS SO itchy and it drives me nuts. NOTHING works- i use a LOT of hair products but I dont think it's all from that. Not only do I have a scalp itchiness problem but I also have these with things stuck to my hair. It's so weird, I panicked for like a week thinking it was head lice so I went out and boucht one of those Nit combs and used it on my hair. ALL those white oval shaped things came out, but no lice??? I'm so confused. After about three days after I combed, the white things came back. I don't understand- I fit was head lice both my son AND my husband AND everyone at my work would hair it (due to hairbrushes and headsets). I just dont get it, Ive looked up every scalp thing on the internet and NOTHING sounds like this white stuff on my hair but head lice- but I've checked so many times. PLEAASSSSE HELP!!!

This discussion is related to itchy scalp.
Member Comments (43)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
by Vanessa LacuestaBlank, May 05, 2008

One differential for this is seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrheic dermatitis may present as fine greasy whitish to yellowish scales more commonly known as dandruff. The scalp may be itchy. The cause of seborrheic dermatitis is yet unknown although a yeast infection has been implicated. There seems to be no genetic factor involved however environment and stress have been known to trigger flares.

It is best to have this assessed by a dermatologist.Seborrheic dermatitis may persist and may be recurrent. Only frequent and vigorous shampooing may be able to control the condition. Medicated shampoos are also helpful.

Do you have skin rash in other parts of the body such as the ears, chest, knees and elbows?
by justagirl109, May 05, 2008
no i dont- i have a rash on my stomache but i think its because im allergic to the metal on my belt. so what do i do??? how do i get rid of this??? another thing is if my hair falls out or i accidently pull it out with my elastic- it pulls out RIGHT FROM THE ROOT and has a clear substance or white substace attached-- any connection??
Avatar_dr_f_tn
by Vanessa LacuestaBlank, May 05, 2008

Scalp disease may be associated with some degree of hair loss. Seborrheic dermatitis may be associated with a diffuse and less noticeable loss of hair and this may be considered in your case. Managing the underlying scalp disease will most likely help solve this problem with the hair condition.

Tinea capitis which is a fungal infection on the other hand appears as patchy hair loss associated with red plaques over the scalp. This is not likely your case.

I suggest that you seek consult with a dermatologist. Seborrheic dermatitis appears to be due to overactive sebaceous or oil glands. This attached white substance in your hair may actually be oil or sebum.

Have you had this assessed by a physician?
by justagirl109, May 13, 2008
no i havent yet.
by g123itisme, Mar 04, 2009
I have this same thing (a waxy substance attached to the end of my
hair when I pull it out.   Sounds crazy but I end up pulling it out because it is so painful (it feels like a sliver in my head), These waxy substances keep growing and get bigger unless I pull them out   I notice that my scalp is oily around the area that gets actually hot and causes raised bumps on my head.  It comes on without warning (never after stress... I'm basically a stress-free person).  Sometimes my scalp itches terribly.  I feel this is the same thing but the symptoms are different.  I have Graves Disease (over active thyroid). The only time I have not had this in 35 years is right after I took the radio active cocktail for Graves Disease.  I am now on Synthroid as a replacement drug.  The doctor has checked and there was no infection or fungas associated with the hair or bulb at the end of the hair.  I also have diabetes.   When I use a hair dryer, I can tell where the flareups will start soon because it feels as if my head is full of wax (it burns where these spots are when heat is applied).  I read that there is a condition where women (usually intelligent women) pull their hair and then are seen analyzing what they pulled.  This is described as a manic disorder).  I do have an extremely high IQ but I'm looking at the hair because I am examining the end bulbs and their size and depth.  They often have a black dot on the end of them.  I always thought the pain was the white waxy bulb pushing out of my scalp.  Often 2 hairs appear to be coming out of the same hair shaft and the white waxy bulbs are stuck to one another.  I do not want to pull my hair because it causes bald spots... I just want the pain to go away.  Help!.   I know it is not my imagination because these areas will get warm and raise into bumps.  The bumps are these enlarged heat follicles I describe).  If I pull out all the hair in that one area, the swelling goes down.  What is going on?  I will try washing vigorously and more often with Nizoral Shampoo.  
by shandie, Aug 11, 2009
i have this problem rite now, please if you know wat it is let me know!!! really puzzeling!!!
by coserria, Aug 12, 2009
I have had this issue described above by g123itisme, My solution has been to use tweasers and remove the hair.  I use no hair poroducts, I use anti dandruf shampoo (I live in the middle east very dry).  I resort to pullign the hairs out in the local area and using alcahol to clean the area. as I have had this turn into a infection and have had to have it burned out.  I feel for the hairs on the back of my head that hurt and yank them. My problem is that I never have this when i'm able to go to a doctor. It moces around my head and is always onthe back so it is hard to see. any one I ask thinks I"m crazy. what I have noticed is that the area that is is present in was a dry area and had flacking prior to the hair issue. I believe that it is a cloged pore that is at teh base of a hair folical. Thus it is oil that is backing up and causign the swelling and pain follows. It would be nice to have a doctor or durmatologist give an answer or other that have had the issue. This is not a new condition to me I have had it for anout 8 years and it acts up about every three month to once a year.

RJ
by AmyMi, Apr 24, 2010
hey did you find out what to do for hair condition you discribed????...please let me know:]
by shylayla22, Jun 20, 2010
I have trichotillomania, a case where I pull out my hair.  Often times, when I pull out hair (more often shorter hair) there will be a clear-white oval attached to the hair near the small follicle bulb at the end of the hair.  It feels ever so slightly damp.  What is this?