Dermatology Community
Hydrocortisone and eczema
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hydrocortisone and eczema

When i was a about 7-10 i used to get eczema between my joints, but this eventually subsided.

However, several years later aged 15, Otober 2006; the eczema returned, and this time also in patches on my face and all around my neck. I tried to ignore it and try and pinpoint what inflammed it, but unfortunately it seemed to be inflammed by everything. I went to the doctor who was reluctant to put me on steroids so he put me on some topical cream which i cannot recall. Needless to say it didnt work so when I returned he told me to use 1%hydrocortisone cream, sparingly and for not more than a week. It worked fantastically. However when i stopped using it, it began to return. So in my wisdom i went to the pharmacy and got some more. Now anytime I stop using it it comes back.

I have now been using it since March 2007, or just over a year, with no side effects. Except now I am shedding hair and have been for 3 months, most of the time when I run my hands through my hair some comes out. Im 99% sure its telogen effluvium but I have no idea whats causing it. Is it possible that it hydrocortisone cream? I haven't had surgery recently, or been on any other drugs, nor have I got an iron deficiency, nor had any major incidents that would cause sudden stress. If it's not due to the hydrocortisone the only other thing i can think of would be a prolonged stress that the eczema itself caused me (on the face isnt the greatest place to have it...nowhere to hide!)

The hair loss is quite distressing as I'm only 17, and if it is stress that caused it, it probably doesn't help that losing hair naturally causes stress. Would you recommend I get off the Hydrocortisone for any reason? And if so how do I stop the eczema?

Thanks,
Eoin