I itch after eating foods with sugar

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I itch after eating foods with sugar

I first started developing symptoms of itching and breaking out in small bumps in a few places on my body after eating about 3 years ago.
I had all kins of tests done to make its nothing serious and the doctors ended up telling me it urticaria and tht there isnt anything i van do about it. She told me to take antihestamines when i start itching.
3 years later and i still have the same problem, at times better than others. The moment i eat anything with sugar in it i will start itching for hours and will have to take antihestamine.
It causes me great discomfort at times and i would really like to find out why this ishappening.
Does anyone have advice on this for me?
It looks like food allergy and the hives are appearing as a result of food allergy to the sugars. This can be found by allergy testing. Skin tests are used for this purpose. This test involves pricking, scratching or injecting food extracts into the patient’s skin. The skin will react with redness and swelling for those extracts capable of eliciting an allergic reaction when consumed. Other tests used are blood tests like RAST and food challenge tests.

You need to consult an allergist for confirming the diagnosis.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

dumb post by doctor you don't need a test because you know its Sugar !
I know i have the same problem .The question is how do you solve the sugar problem because everything has sugar in it. i went to lots of Doctor and all they give you is a pill that makes you sleep . Doctors won't get to the problem they like to hand out pills because they don't know them selves so let me know when you find the cure.
My Daughter is 1yr old and 11mos. and have the same problem after eating some sweets, she may have some red patches on her skin, particularly in her arms, legs, toes, and we haven't seeing a doctor yet, just noticed it and wonder why, just want to know also if someone there encountered the same, and what it is and what they do.  
I have the same problem with sugar, that is carbohydrates in general. The only solution I have found is to not eat carbohydrates. The dietary restrictions require a lot of discipline, but it works. If I decide to go ahead and eat carbohydrates, I just know that I will suffer.

I have found some types of food are worse than others: for me all grain is a huge problem; eating potatoes a few times per week is not as bad, so I eat them; apples work OK but all citrus and grapes are out; wine and alcohol are also huge problems.

Wishing you all all the best!
Every time I eat anything with sugar or any starchy foods I itch but I don't have the rash like some of you. And it's very hard because there is sugar in almost everything. there has got to be a cure for this, because it is very aggravating. And I drank lots of water thinking it will help. HELP!!!!!!!!  
also can this be a symptom of diabetes?
I have this condition too and my son just came down with it also.  I control it by eating an alkalizing diet.  I recommend doing a cleanse also.  I did a two week cleanse and it stopped the itching and then ate using the acid/alkaline chart.  It works!  You can use Loratadine and Zantac for the symptoms but not as a cure.  They only mask the problem.  I hope you will find health and vitality.
You have an overgrowth of Candida albicans, a fungal organism. Its preferred source of food is pure sugar, and with enough food it can replicate exponentially in minutes. Candida begins in most mammals as an endosymbiont, and do not overpopulate until the immunity is compromised by excessive sugars, high stress, as well as antibiotic use.

You will never correct it unless you change your diet. That means that you need to remove all refined sugars, and especially grains. Although Dr. William Crook's book, "The Yeast Connection" is a bit outdated, it may help you understand the connection of diet and yeast.

Actually, you might become more familiar with the connection of diet and all conditions.

My dad and my sister are both MD's. The truth of medicine is that there are no nutrition classes in medical school. There are three tasks that doctors have to perform (if they are not surgeons): Assess, diagnose and prescribe. There's no clause like, "discover the cause, help the patient change unhealthy habits to eliminate the condition," - you know, what's called "the cure" in the vernacular.

So, stay away from grains, sweets (don't eat synthetic sweets either - that would become another set of problems), eat real foods (not packaged or premade foods) and drink WATER, not juice, not tea, not coffee, not soda. Drink at least 3 liters per day. Make sure that you're getting all of your nutrition - especially C (ascorbic acid), calcium, magnesium, zinc, boron, all forms of B (especially important for proper nerve function)… these are only a few, but if you research the whys and wherefores, then you will develop a more comprehensive understanding of what you are missing, what deficiencies you have and what sympoms those are causing - and more importantly (to the heart of the matter) why you are itching when you eat sugar.
Avatar n tn
It first started when my face swelled so much I couldn't be recognized.  I went to the Dr. right away and he gave me a steroid shot followed by a steroid pills pack.  The swelling went down and the whole scenario repeated a couple of months later.  Also my skin would start to itch in a seemingly random spot and break out into a dry rash.   I found that an antihistamine tablet would take care of the problem within a day.  

I went to an allergist for testing and all the tests came back negative.  I finally determined for sure that the problem was caused by sugar.  I searched on the internet and found the explanation that my immune system was misidentifying sugar in my blood as an invader and would them generate histamine to combat the invader.  To me it made since because a single antihistamine pill worked fairly well.  

I spoke to my family doctor about the "invader theory" and he agreed it could be correct.  I asked if it would get better with time and he said "no it could get worse".  Now after consuming small amounts of sugar, which is almost unavoidable, I get tingling in my right arm or my right hand swells but usually my lips swell or my skin breaks out in a fatty area.  

Now I read every food label for sugar and try to eat home cooked fresh vegetables and meat.  Being a southern boy, I make cornbread from scratch with no sugar.  At the grocery store, I find many items which one might think has no sugar is listed as  having 1 gram per serving listed.  It's trial and error with these.  If the item has any sugar at all, one gram might be the smallest amount they can list.  For comparison, a standard paper clip weighs close to one gram.  

Carbohydrates turn to sugar in the blood stream but I can eat a baked potato with no noticeable reaction.  I seem to do OK with a slice or two of bread which claims one gram of sugar per slice. It's pretty much trial and error. On the good side, by trying to avoid sugar, I have gone for weeks at a time with no problems and have lost about 15 pounds over the last three months. I went from a 40 inch pant size to a 36 inch.  I would like to drop to my college days size of  33 inches.

I hope this helps someone.
Avatar n tn
Have you looked into Leaky Gut?  In the last year, I have had the same symptoms and am finding my way back to health through HSU & CO's Internal Cleanse with her DC1, DC2 & DC3.  Also, a high alkaline (veggies) diet during this time of healing helps.  Mine could have been caused by too much mold in my system from living in a toxic mold home and making poor eating choices.  It took me 50 years to get this way; it may take time to get me better.  It took one guy 5 month, another one 1 year because he kept cheating and another only 30 days.  Hope it helps.
Is there anyone can help me, I am truly so upset and frustrated. Last summer I caught Ringworm from a Ferrell cat, it started off on the side of my face, a tiny ring which spread over my face. Took Lamisil for 2 months, didn't help. And my doctor well she thinks now its eczema. trust me I know what eczema is, and I also know how quickly this spreads if I don't wash my hands immediately. I had to stop college, my immune feels now run down its almost 6 months later and still feel this itching on my skin, it almost crawls over my face this itchy feeling, I put lavender oil on my skin and it helps it, but still 6 months later it just doesn't go away. I have tried everything possible from Oregano oil for 2 months to really strong Probiotics, herbs, vitamins you name it. My diet would be a nutritionists dream diet, don't take added sugars etc. at the moment I am on the alkaline diet, its a little hell. However I am going to do. You know when you start reading things on the internet about systemic fungal infection and mortalities, ect it just freaks you out. Any one got an insight or had similar problems I really really would appreciate your help or advice.
Is there anyone can help me, I am truly so upset and frustrated.
Last summer I caught Ringworm from a Ferrell cat, it started off on the side of my face, a tiny ring which spread over my face. Took Lamisil for 2 months, didn't help. And my doctor well she thinks now its eczema. trust me I know what eczema is, and I also know how quickly this spreads if I don't wash my hands immediately. I had to stop college, my immune feels now run down its almost 6 months later and still feel this itching on my skin, it almost crawls over my face this itchy feeling, I put lavender oil on my skin and it helps it, but still 6 months later it just doesn't go away. I have tried everything possible from Oregano oil for 2 months to really strong Probiotics, herbs, vitamins you name it.
My diet would be a nutritionists dream diet, don't take added sugars etc. at the moment I am on the alkaline diet, its a little hell. However I am going to do. You know when you start reading things on the internet about systemic fungal infection and mortalities, ect it just freaks you out. Any one got an insight or had similar problems I really really would appreciate your help or advice.
Be nice to people. She was very polite in her response.
Avatar n tn
Hi Know some years on but you did you find out what your problem is?
I had exactly the same in Jan 2015......went for allergy testing...nothing...turns out I have high levels of candida...so within 15 mins of eating anything sugary, or contains sugar including carbs I would scratch/rashes and sometimes blow up (fingers) and alway look 6 months pregnant.  So I went totally sugar and yeast free  (had anything with less than 0.5% sugar so butters/cheeses/meats ok) including no booze, no natural fruits inc all fruits/dried and fresh, no breads etc.........sorted me out and lost 2 stone in 2 months.   Tried to reintroduce bread occasionally and eat small amounts of carbs and fresh fruit and been ok.  Stevia helped...sugar replacement.
Thank you Eberhardt1973!  Your response is the most helpful and cogent by far, in addition to Kim1810's post from a couple of years ago (HYSTERICAL, because it's true...without the name calling...but still true.).  I am having the exact same symptoms as others have mentioned with rashes and itching right after eating carbohydrates.  What I am upset about also is that so many of the foods I enjoy each day do have sugar in them, or even better, wheat.  Since my food allergies are already extensive, it will feel like a huge loss to cross off more items from my list, however the big question is:  Why is my body all of a sudden reacting to sugar?  Is it possible to bring my body back into balance so that I can tolerate sugar and wheat again?  Does this mean that I have not been eating sugar and wheat in moderation, and my body can tolerate it, but in smaller quantities? Will I ever be able to eat wheat and sugar again?  Or drink alcohol?  Does anyone have thoughts on these questions?
This happens to me too, doctors are NO HELP
I'm frustrated with you. I have the same issue and doctors have been no help. I've been struggling with this for three years or so now.
I eat no more than 15 carbs per meal per day. It takes a LOT of work. The rash persists, but it's tolerable. If I eat more than that, I itch horribly... like poison ivy. The rash goes dormant when I'm cool and heat flares it up bad. I have also used Benadryl at night if it gets unbearable. During the daytime I use a combination of over the counter topical cortisone cream and topical Benadryl gel on the itchiest places. I refrain from hot showers and baths, going lukewarm or cool only. Arthritis strength Tylenol (acetaminophen) helps calm the itch a little bit, two hours later I will sometimes add a couple of Advil ( ibuprophen). So far there has been NO doctor or dermatologist who could help me. I have found these things myself as a trial and error ordeal. I'm interested in what others do.
You need to have a doctor prescribe an oral anti-fungal as well as to continue treating it topically.
Thank goodness for this thread and your answer, even if it was almost a year ago. I have been suffering from itchy rashes on my face from what I believe is an overgrowth of candida but have not been able to confirm it.

While I was pregnant (last year) I cut out all alcohol (obviously) and the vast majority of processed foods for 9 months. Just before my son was born I got a vaginal yeast infection which we treated, but I believe that perhaps it wasn't entirely gone when I delivered him. My son was born in January and we suffered through 2 months of very painful breastfeeding. By March we were diagnosed with thrush. After that I took A LOT of diflucan over many months which helped while I took it but didn't stop the recurrence after I stopped. Doctors believed that despite us both being medicated, my son and I were just passing the the thrush back and forth. We tried everything they recommended but eventually it caused me to stop breastfeeding.

Since August or so I have now suffered from bouts of the same situation over and over, and I am just now putting it all together as I believe it is 100% related to the thrush:

First I develop a general distaste for healthy foods I usually love. This lasts a few days and I find myself drawn to sugary/white flour foods - pizza, pasta, cheese/crackers, etc. instead. Then, I get intense sugar cravings for about a day (like I NEED A COOKIE NOW situations). And then suddenly my face itches like crazy, and within a few hours after that I have an itchy red rash inside my nose, on my eyelids, in my ears and on my chin. The only thing that seems to get rid of the rash is a combination of diflucan, probiotics, and entirely cutting out sugar/wheat/carbs. I've found applying listerine original to the rash stops the itching for a decently long time (desperation that resulted in something that worked). I've seen two doctors about it, but not when the rash was at its worst. Both just prescribed more diflucan.

I am learning that this is probably something I'm going to have to treat myself, but threads like this one make me feel much less crazypants, so thank you. If you have any other insight I'd appreciate it.

For other folks - I found this article and it's part 2 helped a bit: http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2013/03/25/if-youve-ever-eaten-sugar-you-probably-have-candida-symptoms-yes-you-you-in-the-chair-read-this/

Make sure it is not lupus. My brother had ringwormy looking things at some point for which he took oil of oregano thinking it was fungal but it turned out to be lupus. Get checked to rule this out.
I am 75 years old and have only developed my problem in recent years. My main problem is the skin on my lower stomach itches almost constantly, from light to severe. Sometimes my head itches and if I eat sugar my legs itch. I found if I eat candy every day for a period of time my legs will severely itch from ankle to above the knee and prevent me from getting any sleep. But, I have never had a rash. Most of the itching is worse when warming that part of the body and alleviated with cold.  I often have to sleep with my legs and sometimes my whole body out of the covers.

I am still finding out what foods cause problems and many of these posts help reinforce what I suspected to cause problems. Basically, if you want to eat certain foods you have to accept the consequences. I cut out bread and apples a long time ago. More recently I have restricted my sugar intake and cut back on citrus fruits, like tangerines. If I eat several tangerines (Halos) in one day I will get a severe itch in one spot on my left ankle. I drink mugs of tea with honey and lemon juice. Honey is basically sugar, so I suspect it may be the cause of my stomach itching. I am controlling the itching, but it never goes away. As I type this my lower stomach and underarms (shoulder pits) are mildly itching.
I have had nearly the same experience as you.  My son and I passed thrush back and forth and now I'm going through the same thing with my daughter.  I also get itchy when I have too much sugar and I have periodic bouts of thrush (both oral and on my nipples).  This is all due to candida overgrowth.  I too am wondering if I'll ever be normal again...
Avatar n tn
I agree, the 'medical world' hasn't been very helpful about the issue, apparently, 'itching' does not rate highly on their list of problems, although it IS a quality of life issue for anyone who experiences chronic itching, especially on the legs and feet! I do believe, it is relative to sugar, as the itching does occur within half an hour of ingesting sweets--BUT it also happens at other times and it is very inconvenient, especially when wearing lace-up UGGS or stockings and heels. I do NOT get a rash, but DO feel pins/needles and itching that makes me want to tear the skin off the affected area. EEEEK!
Same problem.  Itching caused by sugar or carbs.  Here are things that help:  taking very strong (20 bil+) probiotics daily; drink 1tbs apple cider vinegar in a glass of stevia sweetened beverage each day, eat sauerkraut, drink Kambucha and Kefir, eat a high protein, high veggie diet.  Exercise as much as you can, including weightlifting.  No artificial sweeteners except stevia, erithrytol and xyletol.  Avoid foods with mold, such as peanuts, mushrooms and tofu.  Eat almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts.  Take a spoon of coconut oil every day.  Avoid trans fats and oils other than olive and coconut.  Put cinnamon, cayenne pepper, turmeric, and cumin in your food.  Use fresh ginger.  Drink water with lemon juice in it all day long. I do al of these things and they help my body calm down and stop the inflammation response.  I love candy and can't eat it anymore, so I eat dark chocolate sweetened with stevia, and it is pretty satisfying.  Apologies for all the misspellings.
Check your livers, folks!
Due to PSC (Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis, the random hourglassing of the liver's bile duct system), I've had liver transplant (x2), and am likely in need of my 3rd.
A symptom of long-term (almost 18 years!) presence of a transplanted organ (not just livers) can be chronic cholestatic Pruritis (system-wide itching).  Well, I've got it!
And, in that this Pruritis is inherently an inflammation of the pain receptors in nerves, this kind of itching is NOT topical. (It's not on the surface of the skin.)
And finally, with these conditions, there is no "cure", except one of the two outcomes: death (not my first choice!) or another liver transplant.
So check your livers.  Blood work will do this, as a preliminary test.  The "LFTs" (Liver Function Tests) of ALT, AST, GGTP, BUN, Creatinine (also a primary kidney test), and total Billirubin should give some solid information to either a transplant surgeon or a generalist M.D.
In either case, with the two options of either (a) be cheery, or (b) be glum, please choose like I have, and Be Cheerful, there's no reason not to, really!
Hey guys,

I, after struggling with these issues myself, recently found out that a major root cause surrounding this whole "candida overgrowth epidemic" along with the extreme sudden food allergies and itching all over is this - pesticides in our food.  And though I am sure that some people develop these same issues by being exposed to other "toxins" that can disrupt the natural flora and function of their bodies, the symptoms typically come from the same cause.  

All of these issues are developed simply because the protective lining of their intestines  slowly becomes eroded by some type of chemical toxin, and then whatever you eat becomes directly absorbed into the bloodstream and in the case of carbohydrates and sugar can cause massive candida overgrowth in the body.  New food allergies can also occur, as with me, I very suddenly developed an allergy to the mold on peanuts. My new peanut allergy presented very unusual symptoms though.  I began having fits if terror and horrible panic attacks, and sometimes my whole brain would seemingly go "numb" and I would lose my entire ability to speak (could not think at all or answer simple questions).  One day after having one of those terrible attacks the night before, I started thinking about the last food I had eaten before my sudden panic attack.  I had eaten a snickers ice cream bar.  I thought, "what if all these years, I just have a peanut allergy?".  So I went into my kitchen and ate another one, and within minutes I had an attack.  I was actually very happy to figure this out, because my doctor had me on a very high dose of narcotic anxiety medication (benzodiazepines).  I was able to completely come off of my medications which took several months (because after 3 years on benzodiazepines...you cannot cold turkey off of them), and now I just avoid peanuts 100%.  No more attacks!  
I have also been battling full body candida for a while also, so my deep investigative research has led me to all of this information.  My mother has been battling auto immune issues, and yes candida also, for almost 20 years, and it all started in her 30s after she had bronchitis and was treated with antibiotics.  But whether it be antibiotics (it can only take 1 or 2 times of taking an antibiotic to develop these issues) or just eating foods that have pesticides in and on them as well as any other toxic cause - those things can damage the protective lining of your intestines and stomach. And just so you know, If it's not organic, it has pesticides in it!!! (Yes, even bread and juice!). What can you do once the damage is done?  Well, as another person suggested,  people really need to be sure to take a very good probiotic every day, and eat something pickled like pickles or sauerkraut.  

And Research "Leaky gut syndrome".

Helpful Links:
http://biocytonics.com/PDF/LeakyGutSyndr.pdf
http://www.functionalmedicineuniversity.com/public
And of course:
http://www.totalhealthinstitute.com/toxicity/

However, if you are pregnant and have developed severe itching all over your body, especially on your hands and feat, you need to make an appointment and tell your doctor about these symptoms.  It is very likely that you could have obstetric cholestasis, which carries a high risk of having a still birth if you deliver after 37 weeks.  I ALSO developed this issue, and I am very glad that I went and got tested for it, because my mind was trying to convince me that I was just having my usual yeasty body itches.  Could have saved my babies life.  I was induced into labor at exactly 37 weeks, and had a very healthy baby. :)

I really hope this information sheds some light on the issue, and maybe helps in some way......

Bye For Now.
A few months ago I started getting severe itching all over my body. My skin would dry, crack, and fall off to the point my bed sheet felt like it was covered in sand. I lost many hours of sleep and felt fairly tired throughout most of the day. I tried taking Benadryl but it would only make me drowsy and did nothing to help with the itch. I ignored the itching at first having suffered from eczema my whole life but started to get worried after I realized my whole body was literally getting inflamed and my skin color was getting darker/redder. Usually I can control my eczema but this flareup feels like it is something completely different. I'll probably go to the doctor eventually but I've managed to get my symptoms under control. I used Diptozone 0.05% on my neck just to hide the visible nasty rash. At the same time, after researching a bit online, I decided to start fasting. After only one day, the itching has subsided and coupled with the Diptozone the rash on my neck has completely disappeared. The rest of my body is still a bit discolored and inflammed but I'm just glad I'm able to get some sleep now. The itching has also subsided mostly and only comes back after I eat something. Since I know the inflammation is caused by something I ingest, I've been slowly testing different foods. Sadly, nothing I eat sits down well. However, to keep myself from starving, I'd just eat a Subway sandwich packed with veggies. It doesn't cause that much inflammation but I still feel much better while fasting even if it means I have to go through the day hungry. Lucky for me, I'm a slacking college student and so I don't have to spend much energy during the day and am pretty used to going hungry. If you're still reading this and have the same symptoms as me, try fasting and drinking lots of water, I realiy hope it helps you like it helped me. Also, I've been thinking this inflammation might have something to do with stress. I didn't realize it until looking back now but I started playing in the stock market recently and lost a good amount of money. A part of me feels like I held down my anger and stress to the point my body couldn't handle it and literally heated up. I've been managing the stress now and cut back on focusing on stocks and am learning how to enjoy life while trying to maintain this hobby. If I have a big loss again, and suddenly feel like my skin is burning, I'll come back here to let you guys know its definitely stress related. BTW, the condition I found that most closely resembled what I was feeling is called Erytheroderma. If this does not resemble your condition, still try fasting and see how it works out. If that doesn't work, see how exercising and eating healthy works, because that usually cures/treats most illnesses/diseases. Thank you for reading and good luck.
Cut out eating grains that contain gluten which is in wheat, barley, rye, and oats. Sounds like you have dermatitis herpatiformis. Also, I would cut out eating sugar, except organic sparingly; I use raw honey. And no dairy and see if this helps.
Get checked for celiac disease. If you can eat only organic.
I was checked, but refused the biopsy (endoscopy) because I know from my body I am very sensitive to gluten. This started with me 3 years ago .
I can stop the itching if I do these things I mentioned.
It's got to related to all the GMO's, and processed foods we eat.  
Pray to God, He will help you. I prayed for you. God wants you to be healthy.
Sounds like you may have yeast overgrowth, or Candida Albicans. Google for some anti-candida diets. I have it myself and have discovered some great meals. Take good quality probiotics and eat probiotic foods (eg: pickles, kefir - Google for that info too). You may have to make a major diet change but it's worth it.
I have had a problem for many years and only recently thought about it being caused by sugar.  I think I noticed on days when I really restrict my sugar intake that the itching is better.  I don't have a rash, just patches of skin that itch for no reason.  One doctor gave me a medication cream called Triamcinalone and told me to use as much as I want, but he had no other answers.  One or two successful applications will help and last for a day or two, but then have to be reapplied.  It's very frustrating and dare I say embarrassing also.  But this is the only semi-solution I have come up with.