I think my child's skin may be damaged

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I think my child's skin may be damaged

My child (3+) had an itchy rash behind her knee, which I think was due to food (oil) residue on her chair (childcare) - a common skin ailment especially around the mouth when kid's mouths are not wiped clean enough esp after oily meals.

But because of a series of cortizonal or steriodal creams to cure the rash, I think her skin has been 'damaged'. Now the rash is impossible to get rid of. And it is itching. At best, it is reddish, feels dry. At worst, it is red, puffy. The skin has also cracked (due to scratching).

1. What should I use to neutralise whatever creams had been used to prevent the rash from getting worst?
2. Help her skin to recover back to their natural state.

I have used yellow solution (acriflavine - common for skin abrasions) on skin breaks. It has helped, but the rash persists. Please help!

Btw, I have heard that copper peptide serums can help top-layer skin recover, but they are hard to find.

Many thanks in advance!

TC

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

Take your child to a skin specialist or child specialsit. It would be best not to treat it on your own.

Let us know if you need any further information.

Post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards

Thank you BhumikaMD.

Yes, I am very careful about a child's hygiene, which is why I think she contracted the rash from her childcare centre. I have taken pains to flush the affected area with fresh water but the problem persists. The calamine lotion helped at one stage but now seems too strong. Why I am looking for a more 'natural' balm.

Yes, I am also thinking of bringing her to a specialist. But I am afraid they might prescribe her with similar kind of meds. After all, the meds I've use so far have been prescribed for exactly the same ailment - why I am now looking for neutralising oilments or meds.

This rash got worst because the mother did not know I had switched to another cream, hence worsening the condition.

However, since the last post, I had applied an aloe vera juice gel and the rash has completely disappeared. It is helping the skin to heal nicely. I notice that it is best to give 'breathing space' between applications, especially if the skin is sensitive and when the medication is petroleum gel based especially children skin.

There was another aloe vera juice gel that had cucumber and chlorophyll. I chose this 'pure' one because even though cucumber abd chlorophyll have healing properties, I am not sure if the chlorophyll stains (although the color was light and transparent).

Hope this experience is of use to somebody else.