Dermatology Expert Forum
ITCHING IN PUBIC AREA

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

ITCHING IN PUBIC AREA

I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME.  I HAVE VERY BAD ITCHING IN THE PUBIC AREA.  MY ITCHING CONSISTS OF THE LABIAL PART AND THE MONS PART OF THE PUBIC REGION. THERE ARE NO BUMPS OF ANY KIND THAT I CAN SEE JUST ITCHING.  THIS STARTED AS JUST ONE SPOT ON THE MONS AREA AND HAS NOW SPREAD.  I AM SO BOTHERED BY THIS.  SOMETIMES THE ITCH FEELS AS IF THE PUBIC HAIRS ARE POKING AT MY SKIN.  THIS IS VERY UPSETTING TO ME AND I HOPE THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO EASE MY MIND ON WHAT IS CAUSING THIS ITCH.  THANKS SO MUCH!!
Stephanie:

There are many possibilities, most of them treatable or not serious at all.  You need to be checked to rule out pediculosis ("crab lice,") which can be contracted through sexn, but also from sheets and bedclothes.  This is unlikely, but possible, and would require treatment.

Other than that, it could be stess, eczema, and so forth.  Do yourself a favor and see a doctor.

Best.

Dr. R
OH YEAH...I HAVE BEEN GIVEN SPECTRAZOLE AND PRAMAZONE AND THAT DIDN'T SEEM TO HELP.  THANKS
Has your gynecologist done a "wet prep" where they swab the area and look for a yeast or bacterial infection?
I had a very bad problem with the itching also.  It came out of the blue one day.  I used a cream called LAMISIL that someone on these boards recommended.  It took the itch away and it works GREAT!! Maybe you can try it.  Good luck.
Back on july 26th 1999 I was place at a home by my job to take care of a family it was filthy and loaded with bugs (roaches) everywhere and lord knows what else the house had not been cleaned in 5yrs.I Was bitten on my back in three places in a row they were also about the size of a dime.with in three weeks the size of a quarter I then went to the doctor and was told it was a moquito bite,after another two weeks they said spider bite by now they had grown together to form one small saucer size cicle taking up the whole left should of my back.Then I was sent to a derm-spec when I got there it was another two weeks buy now the same three small circles were now also on my upper left arm he did a lyme test when I went back the test was neg. the so called bite was once again one huge cicle clear in the center and taking up my whole upper arm, they did a punch biopsy it came back pruigo simplex when I ask what this ment he said bug bite.my family doctor doesn't agee and is now sending me to another specialist, this is now going on 9 months I can't take the itching and they look like big red hot weltes please help 9 months is a long time with no help I've used all kinds of creams and lotions and pills,    thank you connie
I have had an itching sensation for 3 days now.  It seems to be under the skin and all over my body.  There are no red bumps or marks....the skin appears normal.....however, it itches so badly I can not sleep at night.  This has happen before....sometimes weeks go by, months go by, before another itching spell starts.  I remember this starting in the last 2-3 years.  It has only happened maybe a total of 5 times.....however, I can NOT for the life of me discover what is making this happen.  I usually itch for 2 days and then it will go away.......till the next time......which will be unknown and another total mystery to me.  This time it has gone on 3 days.....I am losing sleep....cranky and I've checked every possible food, detergent, soap, bed sheets, etc.....to see if anything has been different recently.  It hasn't!  I itch absolutely everywhere!!  What do you make of this?  I don't see my doctor till May 7th.  Help.
i have had psoriasis for ten years and at presesnt am in remission ....well all but anal area, this seems to be at its very worsed with the bleeding and stuff and its reached the stage were  the area is continuously wet and it even rots my underware im so
depressed about this now, that im probleby making it worse ive tried the creams but the skin gets so thin that i stopped using them [about 5 years ago]and im not going to ware a nappy ok!!!
the night time is the itchy time?when i take my clothes off,
in the day it quiets down.......
your comments please and thanks for your time.....steve
I recently have the exact same symtons as Gayle. It started with the palms of both hands and now is all over my body and mostly around my buttox and pubic areas. This is been going on for about 2 days. I just took benedryl at it appears as if it's helping. I'm wondering if its related to my recent exposure to the florida sun as well as the tanning salon?
Steph

Its called crabs.
My itch occured firstly over 20 years ago after the birth of my son. I cant help but relate it to being shaved in hospital. The Only relief I get is by shaving myself, even then it is short lived. I have been to Doctors and dermatologists but to no avail. I seem to come away feeling very embarrased. I will try lamisil and see how it goes.
A related discussion, ??????? doctor please respond! was started.
A related discussion, Preventing Acne was started.
A related discussion, Reproductive Health was started.
A related discussion, itching in pubic areas was started.
A related discussion, bad itching was started.