Iching

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Iching

Hello I have had a problem for a while, the problem is on my scalp after I take a bath well my head ich a lot and then in the morning I have like yellow bumps and a lot of white flakes. I ask my mom she told me that she has had the same thing ever since she was little. Can you help me doctor?

This discussion is related to Severe Itching Head to Toe!.
It can be due to dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis. You can treat flaking and dryness with over-the-counter dandruff or medicated shampoos. Shampoo the hair vigorously and frequently (preferably daily). Active ingredients in these shampoos include salicylic acid, coal tar, zinc, resorcin, ketoconazole, or selenium.

If the symptoms persist,then it would be best to get it confirmed from a dermatologist.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.

Have you tried oiling your hair? Try hair oils that aim at strenghthening the scalp, as shampooing in excess can also take away a lot of natural oils from the scalp. One such prescribed shampoo is Nizoral's Blue. Try one, or ask your pharmacist for a better product, if available. But shampoo is usually not sufficient for dandruff, oil needs to compliment it. As of the yellow bumps, they can be either a case of dermatitis or in a more routine and non-severe condition, they can be caused due to sweat or reaction by your regular hair wash. If your home remedies have failed to work, I think consulting a pro would be a better option, since yellow bumps do sound a little unusual! All the best and have a happy recovery!
I'd like to make a little correction:

Nizoral's Blue is a shampoo I recommended for dandruff, and I didn't mean it in the sense of a shampoo that takes away the oils from your scalp. It is a medicated one, and does work for mild to medium dandruff. It needs to be used twice a week and usually does the job pretty well. Also, don't oil your hair and scalp for more than 2 hours, especially if your scalp sweats after being oiled.