Infection after removal of stitches

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Infection after removal of stitches

My daughter was born with an area the size of a penny on her head where the hair wasn't growing.  I brought her to a dermatologist and she said it was Neveous Sebaceous, a couple of days later I had it removed off of her head.  The stitches were in for about 2 1/2 weeks.  The stitches were removed and as weeks went on, I noticed a scab forming with a little bit of a scent.  She wasn't due to go back to the doctor for 3 months, but I just knew something wasnt't right.  I brought her in to see the doctor and she said that it is infected. I asked how would that have happened, she thinks the baby had a reaction to the removal of the stitches. Keep in mind when the stitches were removed, the doctor said no need to put anything on it, which I thought was strange, I would have thought to put neosporin on it. The doctor removed the scab and gave me a steroid ointment to put on her head twice a day and oral twice a day and to make sure I bathe her hair along with that area every day. Today I was examining the area on her head and it looks to me as if when the stitches were removed, that area split open.  I am going to bring her in to see the doctor this week, but what should I do?  I am wondering how will this get corrected or is she going to have a larger scar.  Will hair grow over it? Do I need to take her to a plastic surgeon?
Since the incision line has split open, so it might need resuturing or regular dressings with topical antibiotics and a course of oral antibiotics as well. Before starting with the antibiotics, the doctor may do a culture sensitivity of the wound specimen also. I sincerely suggest you to get it evaluated from her doctor as soon as possible.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.