Inflammed skin after shaving

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Inflammed skin after shaving

I shaved my gential (genital) area about a week ago, now the area is red, inflammed, ichy and kind of painful. I was wondering what this could be. Could it be a razor rash or perhaps something more like gential (genital) herpes. Thankfully i do not see any sore's in the area in question which leaves me to belive it be related to shaving. The area is very senstive to the touch, but I must admit that although the redness has not improved the pain or stinging has over the pass view days, even when i get in the bath tub. I looked at all the pictures of gential (genital) herpes and my issue does not seem to be that, but I can't really say for sure as I am worried.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This may be a case of folliculitis, razor bumps or razor burn. You have not mentioned of any bumps or lumps in the area. A razor burn may be the case here. “Razor burn is an irritation of the skin caused by shaving either at sensitive areas or not using proper technique. It appears as a mild rash 2-4 days after shaving (once hair starts to grow through sealed skin) and usually disappears after a few hours to a few days, depending on severity. In severe cases, razor burn can also be accompanied by razor bumps, where the area around shaved hairs get raised red welts or infected pustules. A rash at the time of shaving is usually a sign of lack of lubrication.”Source :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaving

Ingrown hair may cause some irritation as these  hair as they grow may curve towards the skin and irritate it. So it is best to use a sharp razor or to avoid shaving the area altogether until this has resolved.

Wash the area with a mild cleanser. Keep the area clean and dry always. If the symptoms persist you may need topical antibiotics to prevent any infection eg folliculitis.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers