Aa
A
A
Close
Inflammed skin after shaving
I shaved my gential area about a week ago, now the area is red, inflammed, ichy and kind of painful. I was wondering what this could be. Could it be a razor rash or perhaps something more like gential herpes. Thankfully i do not see any sore's in the area in question which leaves me to belive it be related to shaving. The area is very senstive to the touch, but I must admit that although the redness has not improved the pain or stinging has over the pass view days, even when i get in the bath tub. I looked at all the pictures of gential herpes and my issue does not seem to be that, but I can't really say for sure as I am worried.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Hi

This may be a case of folliculitis, razor bumps or razor burn. You have not mentioned of any bumps or lumps in the area. A razor burn may be the case here. “Razor burn is an irritation of the skin caused by shaving either at sensitive areas or not using proper technique. It appears as a mild rash 2-4 days after shaving (once hair starts to grow through sealed skin) and usually disappears after a few hours to a few days, depending on severity. In severe cases, razor burn can also be accompanied by razor bumps, where the area around shaved hairs get raised red welts or infected pustules. A rash at the time of shaving is usually a sign of lack of lubrication.”Source :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaving

Ingrown hair may cause some irritation as these  hair as they grow may curve towards the skin and irritate it. So it is best to use a sharp razor or to avoid shaving the area altogether until this has resolved.

Wash the area with a mild cleanser. Keep the area clean and dry always. If the symptoms persist you may need topical antibiotics to prevent any infection eg folliculitis.

Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources