Dermatology Community
Ingrowns
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ingrowns

I have had dry skin on my legs for years. I am now left with ingrown hairs all over my legs i try to scrub but they just end up leaving scars and they do not seem to come out of the skin. Do i see a doctor for this or go direct to a skin  dematology doctor, as they are all over my legs.

thankyou.
Related Discussions
Hi,

In grown hairs can mimic other skin conditions, so chronic skin problems should be diagnosed by a dermatologist or other physician.

To prevent ingrown hairs, there are a few grooming tips, that if implemented, should reduce or eliminate this minor but problematic occurrence. Ingrown hairs are often triggered by shaving. This is because shaving cuts the hairs off, leaving a sharp end that may easily penetrate back into the hair follicle if the hair should curl up beneath the skin’s surface. Avoid a “too close” shave by using a single-blade razor, shaving in the direction of hair growth, and avoiding excessive pressure on the razor. If possible, shave with an electric razor rather than a blade.

Women may choose to use depilatory creams in place of shaving. This may prove effective at preventing ingrown hairs because it leaves the hair with a smoother, more rounded tip than shaving, tweezing, or waxing, which essentially cuts or breaks the hair off. However, many people find that depilatories either irritate their skin or their sinuses. Avoid depilatories if you have an allergic or irritating reaction.

Another problematic condition that can lead to ingrown hairs is excessively dry skin. Use a non-comedeogenic shaving cream, moisturizer and cleanser containing salicylic or glycolic acid on shaved areas to help the skin stay clean, soft and pliable. Exfoliating to remove dead skin cells is another preventative measure that can reduce the blockage of pores and help the skin stay soft.

If skin has become dry or pores become blocked, ingrown hairs can begin to become a regular occurrence. To avoid ingrown hairs while treating dry skin and improving the skin’s surface, allow hair to grow out.

Regards.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank