Insect bites causing local numbness?? With photo

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

8978288?1364644114

about 2 weeks ago I was travelling in Russia, upon returning home I noticed after a day or so that an area on the right side of my body under my arm was starting to go numb. It was kind of the feeling yu get when you get an anasthetic injection at the dentist. I went to the doctor and he told me not to worry, that it was probably a trapped nerve and that it would most certainly regain feeling over the next few weeks. Since then, in the middle of the area, 2 spots have have slowly formed which leaves me to think I have been bitten by something. Please take a look at the attached pic. Can anyone shed any light as to what exactly may have bitten me? As I say, I suspect that I got bitten during a business trip in russia, the hotel I general stay in is quite old, maybe something in the bed mattress? As I was there in the middle of winter I am ruling out mosquitos. Just so you have an idea of the scale, the "spots" are about 1.5 inches (38mm) apart.
Many thanks in advance for your help!
Though the picture is not so typical, yet is in favor of Herpes zoster. The presentation with numbness and later the rash on a dermatome is pointing towards this.
Do consult our Doc.
Correction- your Doc!
Just to clarify, im a neurodermititus sufferer which is worse in winter due to the dry air, which is why on the photo my skin looks irregular and "rashy"
It definitely looks like you have been bitten by something.  May be a bed bug as you stayed at a hotel.

The two bits look inflamed with the red are around the bite.  I suggest you go back to the doctor (or a different on  in the practice) and get some antibiotic cream to apply to the bites.  If you find the infection is spreading, like the red is getting worse, you will need an oral antibiotic.

Best wishes.
The clinical impression of mine is based on the rash per se and not on the surrounding skin which sure matches a post neurodermatitis skin.
Yu say that is has been two weeks since you got these bites.  

The one bite that you have on the photo hasn't even formed a proper scab yet.  The sensation of numbness is from the poison in the saliva of the biting bug.

The two bites still have red inflamed skin around them, as well as one not fully scabbed over.  This would indicate that there is still some infection and it would be appropriate to treat the bites with an antibacterial cream to aid healing.

If you look at BadBedBugs.com they have pictures of bed bug bites and yurs looks just like bed bug bites.

I have copied and pasted the information below with regard to treatment for bed bug bites but they reckon the bicarbonate of soda one is by far the best:-

1) Make sure to wash the bed bug bites with soap and water.

2) Make a thick sticky paste with the water and baking soda, not too runny and thick enough that it will stay.

3) Let the paste stand until completely dry and then wait an hour or so. Some let it stand for hours while others find that an hour or less is fine.

4) Gently wash the paste off and pat dry.

Other natural remedies for treating bed bug bites include:

Witch hazel, St. John’s Wort and Lemon juice – all work by removing the desire to itch (Astringents).

The gel from the Aloe plant is how many treat bed bug bites and contains anti-fungal and antibiotic properties that work great! Simply trim a tip and apply the exposed area to the bite.

Handed down from generations is the bath with peppermint oil, fill the tub with bath water, then add a half cup of peppermint oil to relieve the itching.

How to Treat Bedbug Bites using OTC or Over The Counter medication.
1.Cortisone cream to stop the itching
2.Calamine lotion
3.Just about any topical anesthetic containing pramoxine
4.Hydrocortisone cream
5.Naproxen or Ibuprofen or a anti-histamine like benadryl to help reduce swelling
6.Light paste of aspirin and water like you would with baking soda and water
Your condition has been intriguing especially it started with numbness, and later the rash.
Do look out if you develop further rashes along the area of loss of sensation.The importance of ruling out zoster is paramount in that early treatment can reduce the incidence of post- herpetic neuralgia, a very painful condition occurring weeks after the rash.
Regards.