Intense Itchy Legs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Intense Itchy Legs

For the past three days The part of my leg from right under the calf muscle to my ankle has been intensely itchy on both legs. It is similar to a bug bite itch but all over, no pins and needles feeling just itchy and irritated. When I scratch there is no relief. I've looked all over, the skin is not swollen, there is no rash or bumps of any kind and my skin is not dry. I've tried all kinds of advanced therapy lotions and exfoliating nothing is helping. The only thing that gives me limited relief is itch creme. It is a constant itching day and night. Does anyone out there have any ideas?
  • itchy legs (2 replies):
    itchy legs - very hot - when i bath them in very hot wat...[more]
  • Itchy Legs (2 replies):
    My legs have been severely itching for years now. It is ...[more]
  • Itchy legs (2 replies):
    the only part on my body itching has been my legs. I hav...[more]
  • Itchy legs (5 replies):
    I'm struggling with the same problem. My legs itch like ...[more]
  • itchy skin on leg (4 replies):
    I often have itchy sensation on my lower leg. Sometimes ...[more]
It can be due to neurodermatitis or lichen simplex chronicus. Neurodermatitis develops when nerve endings in the skin become irritated, triggering a severe itch-scratch-itch cycle. Common causes of nerve irritation include an insect bite and emotional stress. I suggest you to get an examination done from a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hello, a few years ago I had a microscopic parasite that made my legs itchy so when it happened again I went to my Doctor but he told me there were no holes so it was probably an allergic reaction, he gave me a cream that helped a little but didn't stop it.
I searched the net and someone said it might be due to something in bread so I stopped eating bread, then I stopped cakes and even schnitzel and crumbed fish, this did help but I still had it sometimes.
Finally I searched the net again and found it can be caused by lack or water, I realized I had been drinking a lot more coffee so I cut back the coffee and drank more water and it has stopped, my legs finally don't itch and I can eat bread again.
It is simple to test and it worked for me so I hope it helps you because I do understand how this can drive you crazy.