Irritated Butt

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Irritated Butt

I am unsure of what is going on with me. My butt crack seems to be dry and sometimes there is a little blood (very minor pink spots) on the toilet paper after wiping. I am in college and don't have insurance so I don't want to go to the doctor if it isn't necessary. Once in a while my butt itches but only if I scratch it. Then after I scratch it I feel the urge to keep scratching. The overall problem is not an itchy butt crack but rather a sore crack. After I wipe my *** is sore. i am very gentle when wiping but it doesn't seem to help. I am concerned. I don't know what it wrong. Any suggestions? I just want my butt crack to feel normal again. It ***** not being able to have sex (vaginally) with my boyfriend because if I move to quickly or spread my legs in the wrong way it feels like my butt crack is tearing. It hurts and I just want this problem to go away. please help me!!
It sounds like pilonidal cyst. Pilonidal cyst is cyst right over the coccyx area. In this the skin becomes reddened or even sometimes looks like a small bruise. When it is infected, it causes pain. Presently, the various methods used are incision and drainage,excision and healing by secondary intention, excision and primary closure and excision with reconstructive flap techniques. This is to be followed by antibiotics. Please discuss these options with your doctor.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep us posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

I googled images of a pilonidal cyst and it does not look like that. The area effected is not at the top of my butt crack but rather in the crack and around the hole.
The other possibility is of pruritis ani. Causes include moisture(due to sweating or frequent washing), the abrasion caused by clothing, the pressure of sitting, chemical irritants like laundry soaps, colognes and scented toilet paper, certain food irritants, infections like STD’s and pinworms, anal abrasions and fissures and skin problems such as psoriasis, seborrhea and eczema. Sometimes hemorrhoids will start off as red rash and anal itching.

Treatment of anal itching depends on the cause of the problem. Try an over-the-counter (OTC) cream or ointment containing hydrocortisone (Cortaid, Preparation H),but it is to be applied sparingly to the affected area. A protective ointment that contains zinc oxide (Desitin, Balmex) also may help. If your symptoms are worse at night, please take an antihistamine like Benadryl to reduce itching until topical treatments take effect.
I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.