Dermatology Expert Forum
Irritated Underarm Rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Irritated Underarm Rash

About 5 days ago I took a shower and shaved under my arms as usual. I applied a roll on deodorant that I have just recently switched to using about a month or two ago. It often burns a little when I apply it after shaving which happened this time. Except I noticed several hours later that my left underarm was red and irritated, but there are no pimples, bumps or scales; it also does not itch. Over the next two days I did not apply any more deodorant and tried to keep the area clean and dry. But the redness and burning sensation persisted. I finally applied only one time a diluted solution of tea tree oil and some aloe vera, which burned more, so I went back to trying to let it run its course on its own. Now I have noticed in the past day that a whitish film develops on the top of the irritation. I might think that it is a yeast infection, since that area is moist since I cannot wear any thing to prevent sweat, but there is no odor like with a yeast infection or itching.

I considered that this developed as a reaction to the deodorant, but now am concerned that it might be evolving into an infection -fungal? bacterial? Is there anything I should be doing or over the counter medicine I could try before going to a doctor?
I would try 1% hydrocortisone (OTC), because tis sort of rash tends to be irritation rather than infection.  Once something is irritated, anything applied to it will cause it to burn.  As to why the skin should have chosen just now to become irritated, that's a question which usually can't be answered.  When you see the doctor, your response (or non-response) to the hydrocortisone will help guide diagnosis and management.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I too have and underarm rash that has been here for aproximately three months now, and I do not have and treatment for it. I have NOT switched shaving cream, soap, deoderant, or any thing that would cause a rash like this one. I also had my blood drawn, because my doctor said that there is a skin rash that is found under the arm ( pit), and the rash is associated with diabetes. My blood work came back, and I am NOT diabetic, so the limits what the rash is even more. It is red and really soft, almost like velvet. It has turned almost a brownish color, but still has not gone completely away. I hope me response helps you find out more about the underarm rash that you have.
I have had a rash under both of my armpits for over a week. There are about 100 white pusticles, primarily running down both sides of my hairgrowth, mostly the size of a straight pin, some larger, covering about a two-inch square area. I have tried using antibiotic ointment and cortizone cream. Neither seem to be working. Can you tell me what this might be, and what I should put on it? I have never had this before and I am 52 years old, white male. Thank you.
yeah i have the same sit... it sucks booty i went to the doc n got hydrocromostic or w.e n yeah it works to help the irritation but doesnt make it fully go away.. i want it fully go away cuz i dont like having dark marks under my arm pits GRRRR.. help me!

I have the dark velvety rash also -  

this is my second occurrence.  I first get it all over my breasts early in pregnancy then around my eighth month it spreads to my arm pits.

It itches and hurts some as it forms.

I have seen many doctors concerning this - everyone agrees that it is

ACANTHOSIS NIGRICANS

I use a Urea cream called VANAMIDE - last time I had it the whole rash went away after my baby was born.

All the doctors say it is related to diabetes or melanoma.

We found a malignant melanoma and removed it succesfully.  We can't find any more this time, and my blood work and cat scans come back fine.

I have REPEATEDLY tested either normal or borderline for gestational diabetes.   Which is totally bizzare.

I have nearly all the symptoms of PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) combined with being slightly overweight and having a family history of diabetes.

No one has any answers - I guess I just wait until diabetes kicks in and then maybe someone would take it seriously.

Anyway - just wanted to share that.

rlsecor
I have a rash under my left arm pit it is pimply. I wondering if you can help me and get me any ideas on what it could possibly be. Thanks
I am currently 4 months pregnant and about 2 weeks ago i developed a large rash under my arm. It's really dark and has my underarm swollen. It peeling now and it really itches. Its painful and easily irritated. About 2 days ago i noticed the same rash under my other arm starting to develop. Does any one have any idea of what that may be...Please help!!!!
A related discussion, HELP!! was started.
A related discussion, rash under arm pits was started.
A related discussion, treatment for underarm rash? was started.
A related discussion, under arm rash was started.
A related discussion, Underarm rash was started.
A related discussion, HELP! was started.
A related discussion, Underarm infection was started.
a  i also have a rash under both my arms, and its irritated red,and itchy, i have has this for about a month, ir happen when i changed deodorant scent NOT brand, so i changed it again to a different scent and its still there bit ir doesnt burn ir just itches alot what should i do it looks nasty.