Itching and hair loss around occipital lobe

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

About a year ago, I started losing my hair and that which didn't fall out became very dry, especially at the ends.  My hairdresser also noticed that my scalp in that area was red.  It also itches on occasion.  I don't seem to have any bumps on the scalp, nor do I have any flaking.

I have used the following treatments:
Nioxin shampoo, conditioner and treatment
Coal tar shampoo
Oral intake of biotin and another hair strengthening and silkening supplement formulated by a naturopathic doctor

I have Hashimoto's disease and am on natural thyroid replacement which treats both T3 and T4 deficiencies.  Those are registering within the normal range since I've started the Nature-Throid six months ago.  I have also been under a tremendous amount of stress over the last year caretaking for my elderly parent(s) and for my injured sibling, a single mom with a twelve year old, who wasn't able to drive for several months due to her injury.

Some hair is growing back but it's coming back in much more curly, coarse and dry.  But I continue to lose hair in significant quantities.

I'm seeing my naturopath doctor next week, but should I also see a dermatolgist?  Does anyone have any ideas about what this might be?
Thyroid disease is one cause of hair loss but from your symptoms, telogen effluvium should also be ruled out. Hair fall is a physiological phenomenon due to the natural course of life of a hair. A hair falls after it has grown up and entered the later part of its growth (called the telogen phase). As different hairs in the body are in different phases of their growths at a given time, few of then fall daily a normal routine. Sometimes, more hairs enter into the telogen phase at the same time and fall with obvious note by the person. At other times, it may be due hair disorder or some other underlying disease. So, the causes for excessive hair fall can be determined only after evaluation from a trichologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.