Itching underneath skin/burning/feels like bugs crawling on skin
I am a 49 year old female in good health.  I have had extremely itching skin on my back for several months now.  Recently it has spread to my shoulders, arms, chest, and legs.  It is even inside my ears and is driving me crazy.  This is accompanied by a burning feeling and also feels as though tiny bugs are crawling on me.  This is worse at night but not limited to the night hours.  I am not on any current medications and am allergic to Benadryl.

The symptoms are suggestive of parasthesia. Parasthesias are common in alcoholics and metabolic disorders like diabetes, hypothyroidism, and hypoparathyroidism. They can also be due to peripheral vascular disease, vitamin B12 deficiency or malnutrition.

Get your blood sugar and thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms are gone or not.

In case the symptoms persist then please consult a neurologist as it can be due to some neurological disorder. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.