Itchy elbow rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy elbow rash

I'm a 52 year old woman who has had an itchy rash on either my left or right elbow for the last year now. I showed it to my PCP (who is a nurse practitioner) and he said "Hmmm... it almost looks like poison ivy" Which I know it is not from poison ivy as it was in the middle of a cold New Hamphshire winter when it came on. He recommended taking an anti histamine, which does help the itch and when I take the anti histamines around the clock it takes the rash away. My problem is they make me sleepy and I can't function taking them around the clock. I think It may be an allergic dermatitis but I have no idea what I'm allergic to. Nothing really helps except the anti histamine. I think it's odd that it's only on my elbows, not the inner aspect of the elbow. The bony part. Any thoughts you have will be deeply appreciated.
   Deb
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Deb.

How would you describe the lesions?

Is this something red, flat,elevated,scaly,painful?

Are there other associated lesions in other parts of the body such as the scalp and the knees?

You have mentioned that this is itchy.A primary differential then will be a contact dermatitis.Allergic dermatitis may also be considered.Would you be able to identify possible triggers?

Does this occur at a specific time of the year only?

Do keep us posted with you answers.
The rash is elevated, red, not painful and it would seem winter is when it acts up. Its usually gone by summer time. I also get the same rash behind my right ear.
  I've been using betamethasone on both my elbow rash and behind right ear rash on it and it's clearing up now.
  I can't for the life of me figure out what I might be allergic to.
  Deb
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Does the rash also present in other parts of the body such as the scalp, knees and around the navel?

Aside from an allergic reaction, one may think of a psoriatic rash due to the involved areas. Psoriasis usually involves areas that are predisposed to trauma like the elbows and knees. The areas behind the ears may also be involved. Psoriatic lesions also respond well to corticosteroids.A contact or allergic dermatitis is still a differential.

I suggest that you seek a second opinion with regards to this and discuss this with your physician.