Itchy in the evening

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy in the evening

I've been developing some sort of itch that only appears on my arms in the evenings after I return from work.  Its only on the top of my hands (not palms) and forearms.  I can ignore it, but the red marks and bumps still appear if i don't scratch.  It's only started recently and I was wondering if this was just an allergic reaction (although I'm not sure to what) or if I'm caught something?
Also I forgot to add that the red marks/swelling disappear and are not visible during the day.  Only in the evening.
From the symptoms you have described, it sounds like the itchy rash can be due to hives. Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes.They are usually idiopathic but can be caused by viral infections or allergies also.

Take antihistamines like Claritin or Zyrtec to get symptom relief. Sedating antihistamine such as Benadryl is used usually at night to get urticaria control. Short courses of oral cortisone or steroids are taken for short periods (one to three days) to settle more severe symptoms.Also apply calamine on the rashes.
You may take Vitamin C along with the prescribed treatment. Vitamin C is a general anti-allergy supplement. It helps stabilize mast cells so they are less likely to release histamine.

If the symptoms persist, then you can consult an immunologist.Skin testing has to be done to rule out any allergies.

Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.
Thank you very much!  I followed your advice and took a Claritin and this evening no itching or red marks appeared.  I just recently recovered from a cold and I'm not really familiar with any past allergies which have caused this so I was wondering if this might possibly be a viral infection of some sort?

My nose has been stuffy on occasion and lately I've been feeling a pain in my right jaw joint.   Someone had suggested that maybe I had a sinus infection.  If so, what would be the next step in clearing this?

Once again, thank you!
Very often hives are a result of viral infection.As you had symptoms of sinusitis,so it could have been viral sinusitis.Regarding your nasal congestion,For that the diagnosis of sinusitis or sinus infection has to be confirmed. This can be done through transillumination (passing light through the sinuses) or Sinus X-rays or CAT scan of sinuses.

Treatment of sinusitis involves Oral antibiotics (usually 10 to 14 days). They are to be taken on prescription. You can use an over-the-counter (OTC) decongestant combined with an anti-inflammatory analgesic (pain reliever) like Ibuprofen. However, you should not use decongestants for more than 5-7 days at a time.Inhale steam and use corticosteroid nasal sprays. Severe cases may require oral steroids and sinus drainage.Pls talk to your doctor about this option.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.