Itchy legs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy legs

I'm struggling with the same problem. My legs itch like crazy when I get out of the shower and a little during the day too. Creams don't help, I just have to wait it out or busy myself. Going outside for a walk helps or at least elevating my legs, but the itching takes a while to really completely go away. I don't know if it's hormones, or stress, or a vitamin deficiency, or reaction to hard water, but it has no visible signs on my skin, just the uncontrolled itchy feeling. Lately, my arms have started itching a little too, but not anywhere near the severity of my legs. For those of you who thought it was only an east coast thing,,...sorry to burst that bubble, but I'm from CA and have been here most my life except when I went to college in Utah. I'm going to the doctor today, but have little hope since they all seem to say "it's just stress, etc." Please help, any new leads, post them!

This discussion is related to Itchy legs, no sign of rash or irritation.
0%
 (0) 
medical advice
0%
 (0) 
supportive comments
0 Members voted
  • Itchy Legs (2 replies):
    My legs have been severely itching for years now. It is ...[more]
  • Itchy Legs (2 replies):
    I am not sure if this is eczema but every winter I get ...[more]
  • Itchy legs (2 replies):
    the only part on my body itching has been my legs. I hav...[more]
  • itchy skin on leg (4 replies):
    I often have itchy sensation on my lower leg. Sometimes ...[more]
  • itchy legs (35 replies):
    This discussion is related to Itchy legs, no sign of ras...[more]
I use moisturizers and witch hazel. Take short cool showers. There are many anti itch moisturizers available. Some will work better than others, based on you not the product.
Hi melbell7,

I also suffer from the same thing and mine is cause from drinking milk or dairy products in general. Try not eating any dairy for a couple of weeks and see how you go. Use soy milk instead and dont eat any cheese.
yer im from australia and i have the same problem. its defineately not an allergy. after showering is the worst doesnt matter what soap i use and it happens when i try to go to bed and when i wake up. it also causes me to wake up. it is driving me crazy. im only 18 and there is no stress in my life so its not that. nothings seems to work to help the situation. no cream or anti itch will work.
This is all in the for what it's worthy category...

When I went to college, I experienced the same horrible itchiness on my legs.  It drove me crazy!    I went to the infirmary, and they treated me for scabies....which it wasn't.    I can't even remember how or who eventually figured it out, but it ended up being the soft water in the dorm that I wasn't used to.    I wasn't getting the soap off my legs.   Between more vigilant in the shower about rinsing my legs and using Keri lotion, the problem went away.  
Hello, a few years ago I had a microscopic parasite that made my legs itchy so when it happened again I went to my Doctor but he told me there were no holes so it was probably an allergic reaction, he gave me a cream that helped a little but didn't stop it.
I searched the net and someone said it might be due to something in bread so I stopped eating bread, then I stopped cakes and even schnitzel and crumbed fish, this did help but I still had it sometimes.
Finally I searched the net again and found it can be caused by lack or water, I realized I had been drinking a lot more coffee so I cut back the coffee and drank more water and it has stopped, my legs finally don't itch and I can eat bread again.
It is simple to test and it worked for me so I hope it helps you because I do understand how this can drive you crazy.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers