Itchy sore inside/on my nostril

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy sore inside/on my nostril

I have this recurring sore that occurs on the inside of and on my nostril.  I have gotten it three times in the past year, and this most recent time I got it at the end of a cold.  It is both itchy and tender, and it starts off as red and inflames, and looks like a cluster of conjoining pimples. It then turns very dry and scabs form and will even turn white.  It might be there for a week or so and then it goes away.  Also when there is no sore present, every once in a while I do feel itchiness on the same inside part of my nostril where the sore occurs.  Nothing will usually happen but just the itchiness and I wonder if the two are related.  Any idea what this is?  Could it be herpes, could it be an infection?  I would really like to know thank you.
Hi! ,  

Going through your description it looks like it could probably be a herpetic eruption and those too recurrent. Better see an ent / skin specialist  for confirmation so that he starts you on antiviral treatment.

Wish you a good luck
From the symptoms the possibility of a recurrent boil needs to be ruled out. Herpes often is preceded by tingling sensation and is very painful. In case of boil inside the nose which is infection of the hair follicle inside the nose, it takes its own course for a week or so in healing and no treatment may be required. Apply warm moist compresses three or four times a day over the tender area. This will help to bring the boil to a head and encourage easy drainage.

Along with the warm compresses, you can take OTC pain killers and a course of antibiotics if the causative agent is bacteria.

Exact diagnosis can be confirmed only after examination of the area.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Finally!!! Somebody who knows what I go through.........usually 4 to 6 times a year, for the past 10 years.It starts out as a strange (inside of the skin) kind of itch in just 1 of my nostrils. Then it starts to sting a little. In just a couple of hours it's pinkish, a little inflamed and sort of stiff or hard. It starts to blister after that. It's super sensitive and the blisters get crusty. It totally *****! I have no idea what it is, what triggers it or how prevent it. BUT.......I CAN REPRESS IT! As soon as I have symptoms, I put "Benadryl Itch Relief Stick (EXTRA STRENGTH) all over my nostril; the inside and outside. It's a stick not a pill or syrup. It looks sort of  like a white-out stick. Anyways, I do this several times a day (about 20-30 times). It makes my nose feel a little dry and sticky, but it makes"whatever it is" go away so that's fine by me. I would like to see a Dr. about this thing, but until it's in the budget, I've got Benadryl! I hope this helps anyone who tries it, but if it doesn't, don't give up. Something WILL work for u. Good luck
    So upon further research, I'm pretty sure I have the early stages of shingles. The symptoms described were exactly the same and the the pictures, on everydayhealth, were dead on. that's all, good luck.
Hi i am wondering if someone knows What this is...i get two different nose things...one is on the outside in the middle section of the nose- the skin that devides the two nostrils- on one side sometimes but not often, it will start off a little pink/ red, and little, tiny puss bubbles will form and it will be sore, and then it will crust over. The whole process is like 4-5 days.

Then i get this thing where the inside of one of my nostrils will be sore and then couple of days later à scab will develop and will be very tender. The whole process can last like à week and a half.

Can anyone tell me What this is? I should also mention that is is à common thing for me to wake up stuffy every morning, even though i have eliminated all allergins.

Thanks!!
Ahh I suffer from what sounds like the same thing as you describe.They usually appear on the outside or sometimes just on the inside of my nose. So what they are is Cold sores (caused by the herpes simplex virus)most people get on their lips. Right before they appear you probably feel a bit of an itch or tingle in that area,although if you suffer from allergies,like hayfever as I do, its a bit hard to tell the difference.I have got myself some coldsore cream from the pharmacy/chemist that works great.I apply it to the sore, or as soon as I feel it coming, it works great to stop the sore from actually forming. (Though Im not sure whether these creams can be used inside the nose).
The virus is usually contracted in childhood (though may not show signs until adulthood) as they are quite contagious when having an outbreak.
You could see your doctor to be sure of what it is, but sure sounds like coldsores :/