Large itchy bumps on scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Large itchy bumps on scalp

I've been having issues with these large bumps on my scalp that feel like mosquito bites.  I know its not lice and its has happened several times over past year.  The only last about a day.  They are small at first then get bigger and itch like crazy.  usually starts with my ear itching right behind it and my ear then gets red and swollen.  then I have a few of the bumps show up in the hair line on each side of my forehead.  they itch like crazy.  then a few on the back of my head.   and they just about gone in less then 24 hrs.  well I can tell where they were for a few days but they are not large and itchy any more.  but for at least 12 hours I look like a fool itching these large bumps on my head that just appeared out of no where. Had girl from work search my head for lice. the Bumps are really not all that red just big and itch like crazy.  but they always go away.  One time I woke up and I had a lot all over the back of my head. Usually I use my fingers to feel and itch but you could run your hand down the back of my head and feel them through my hair and I have average to thick hair. It was weird.  I thought maybe it was my pillow cause I had one of those feather pillows so I threw it out and got a cotton one and it did seem to happen again.  but more times the bumps show up about  3 or 4 hours after I done woke up. and now some showed up again and I just got off work.  Haven't a clue.  I see if I can post a pic soon.  thanks
From the symptoms urticaria and hives is an important possibility. Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. They have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in other places, often in a matter of hours.
Avoid using any lotions and creams for the meantime. If the symptoms still persist then you can apply mild steroid like dermacort. For the itching antihistaminics like Benadryl or Claritin can be taken.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.