Little white bump

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Little white bump

I have had a little white bump on my inner bottom lip for a few months now and it is starting to worry me. I have been checked for stds and I know it is not an std. My dentist said it could caused by smoking or biting my nails. Can this lead to mouth disease and should I have a biopsy on it.....also, when I did first notice it, I had really badly chaped lips and than the little white bump showed up. It does not hurt and if I try to pick at it, it will bleed.

This discussion is related to Little white bump on limp.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Bumps on the lips may be aphthous ulcers, cold sores ,mucoceles and fungal infections. Aphthous ulcers and cold sores may appear similarly. Aphthous ulcers may be caused by stress, intake of medications and underlying infections. Cold sores are due to herpes simplex virus infection. Mucoceles are usually found within the inner lip and may be small ,slightly fluctuant reddish to whitish bumps in the lip.

"The size of oral mucoceles vary from 1 mm to several centimeters. On palpation, mucoceles may appear to be fluctuant but can also be firm. Their duration lasts from days to years, and may have recurrent swelling with occasional rupturing of its contents."

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucocele

Other differentials will be cheilitis. Given your history of badly chapped lips, the nicks and cuts on the surface of the lip may actually cause invasion of organisms leading to infections.

This may not be an urgent case but managing your condition should depend on the underlying cause. For cold sores ,oral antiviral drug may be given. Taking vitamin supplements may also be beneficial. Refrain from smoking, biting your nails, biting the lips and licking the lips as this may only aggravate the condition. If this is a mucocele, this is benign and may be persistent for quite some time. They may resolve but others may be more persistent. However, mucoceles rarely give any problems.

Moisturize your lips and drink plenty of water everyday. Take vitamins and use a mild toothpaste when brushing the teeth.

I'm almost positive you have a mucocele.  I got the same thing years ago and I still have it.  It doesn't bother me.  I keep my lips moisturized (aquaphor is awesome).  Took a while to find out its a mucocele.  I went to my dermatologist and he gave me medicine for cold sore but I knew it wasn't that.  I even went to hospital and they said its cold sore.  I went to my doctor and he wasn't sure what it was.  I was thinking what in the world is up with those doctors.  Then I finally went to an ENT and he told me its a mucocele.