Dermatology Expert Forum
Miliaria Profunda Help

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Miliaria Profunda Help

I have been diagnosed with Miliaria Profunda.  The dermatologist basically told me there is no 'cure' and that it will go away one day just like it appeared.  The advice they gave me included lanolin, hydrocortisone, move to a temperate climate and avoid sweating.  None of these seem to work, although maybe I need to use them for a longer period of time.  I live in Southern California, live an active lifestyle and am a physical trainer for a living.

My question is:  Does anyone have any experience with curing miliaria profunda?  Do any of the above remedies work?  Exfoliants maybe?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Another note, I have had this condition for over three years now and live with it by exercising at night, avoiding the sun in the middle of the day or being by the sea or air conditioning.  I have just begun to think there might be a more pro-active solution that just living with this condition.  I am currently drinking about a gallon of water a day with the thought that it is the healthiest thing for my skin and may help to flush out my pores.
Assuming the diagnosis is correct, topical hydrocortisone is probably the best approach.  Drinking lots of water will flush out your kidneys, though, not your skin.  Having said that, I would add that miliaria profunda is not that common in your latitude.  You might want to ask the doctor whether other diagnoses (like folliculitis) are worth considering, or perhaps to ask a different doctor for a second opinion.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thanks for the quick response Dr. Rockoff.  I have seen two dermatologists, the first one diagnosed me with Cholinergic urticaria but never saw the skin inflammed.  I can't remember what he prescribed, but it was an anti-allergen, I took it for a while and nothing happened, he said it should have worked.  The second opinion doctor asked me to come back with the symptoms being active.  Their response was quite interesting, I would summarize it as shock, that I wasn't kidding about what I was describing.  I don't sweat, I get bumpy (mostly over my face, upper back and arms).  The first doctor went to get numerous other doctors, none of which had ever seen the condition, they took pictures of me, a biopsy and that was about all I got.  They called me to say the biopsy didn't show anything and that the condition should go away at some point, but it could be a long time.

When I am in a comfortable state, there is no sign of anything.  Once I cool down, the symptoms go away.  If this makes more sense, the condition began while I was living in the Virgin Islands, which was three years ago.

I don't have that much money to keep going back to doctors, especially when I haven't received much care for my money.  According to the pictures I have seen and research I have personally done, it seems that it is miliaria, but I will go back to one more doctor.  What is the best way to apply the hydrocortisone?  How many times per day?  Before bed?  Also, when the condition clears up is it likely to come back?  Thanks for any help!
A related discussion, Very odd heat rash was started.
A related discussion, Miliaria Profunda was started.